The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting my cories and loaches to be a little more protected so I was wondering if I should cap my eco complete with a fine sand? If it's something to consider, can i add the sand to a running tank?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
No need to cap with sand to be honest. Eco-complete is safe with loaches and cories in my experience. Also if you did cap, the sand would end up under the Eco-complete after some time.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
monster is exactly right.. only time you ever have to cap if with MTS

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so at the risk of asking a question in the wrong forum, why would my cories have lost their barbels and have a very worn down snout, especially when my loaches seem to be doing great?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
i am not a fan of ec, had it works fine but not worth the $ and dont like having a mix size of substrate. if you were to put a fine sand on top it would in time fall through and leave the larger pieces on top, i have had much better results with just coal slag my corys do fine and ive seen them dig with no issues and @ $13 for 100lbs why not after all its a brand name that your paying for with ec.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Ok, so at the risk of asking a question in the wrong forum, why would my cories have lost their barbels and have a very worn down snout, especially when my loaches seem to be doing great?
Check your nitrates and do a thorough vacuum of the substrate surface. All that mulm can host some nasty bacteria, especially in deadspots with no current.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Coal slag? Where do you get that locally?
Yeah, I am curious about this too. I have heard about this stuff else where before.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
1) Could you post pictures of your cories?
2) Fine sand will only settle below coarser substrate, I have no issues with Floramax (similar to eco)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts