The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the recipe for mineralized soil substrate, and to use 3M color quartz, flourite, ecocomplete, or just plain inert aquarium gravel for a "topping" or "cap" substrate. I prefer the appearance of pool filter sand, but I'm concerned that it will eventually mix/blend with the soil beneath. 3M has stopped manufacturing color quartz, and some other company is selling a substitute. I have located (2) 50 lb bags of 3M Colorquartz Black, grade "T", and have it "reserved" for my purchase. I'd appreciate any comments or info, prior to my investment in the build up of my second planted aquarium. Thanx!!!:D

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Is it the color of the sand that you like? Because if so, why not just use larger-granuled sand instead of the pool filter sand?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Other issues to ponder: I have a desire to include yoyo loaches in my fauna inventory. I thought perhaps the CQ might be too abrasive for their barbels. Also, I'm not sure 100 lbs of CQ will be adequate for the footprint in my 48" X 18", 90 gal aquarium. I've heard pro's & cons utilizing mineralized soil substrate, but I think the good outweighs the bad. Just did not want a mud slurry, if I decided to use PFS as a "cap" substrate. Thank you for your comments/info.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went ahead and purchased the (2) 50 lb bags of 3M Color Quartz, black, grade "T". I'm not complaining at $22.00/ea.. Originally, he wanted $29+/ea, and I had to purchase both bags (last two remaining in his stock). Hope this won't be too rough on yoyo loaches.

Now, I'm researching Diana Walstadt's "El Natural" formula for a soil substrate.:icon_cool

1 - 8 of 8 Posts