The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 20 gallon long with a pool filter sand.
I've been wanting to replace PFS to eithef Flourite Black Sand or Eco-Complete. I've been researching the difference between the two and it turns out I just got mixed reviews on both. I don't know which to get and best suited for my current set up. So please help me out!
Current set up:
- 20 gallon long
- Finnex Planted+
- CO2
- Ferts

Flora:
- Amazon swords
- Java moss
- Red tiger lotus

Flora (in the future when I have a better substrate):
- Red ludwigia
- Green cabomba
- Java fern
- Dwarf sag
- Baby tears
- Etc

Fauna:
- 4 cory catfish
- 4 swordtails
- Red cherry shrimps

Any suggestions or advice are welcome on this thread!
Help me out! Thanks!

·
Registered
520 Posts
I currently have a 20 gallon long with a pool filter sand.
I've been wanting to replace PFS to eithef Flourite Black Sand or Eco-Complete. I've been researching the difference between the two and it turns out I just got mixed reviews on both. I don't know which to get and best suited for my current set up. So please help me out!
Current set up:
- 20 gallon long
- Finnex Planted+
- CO2
- Ferts

Flora:
- Amazon swords
- Java moss
- Red tiger lotus

Flora (in the future when I have a better substrate):
- Red ludwigia
- Green cabomba
- Java fern
- Dwarf sag
- Baby tears
- Etc

Fauna:
- 4 cory catfish
- 4 swordtails
- Red cherry shrimps

Any suggestions or advice are welcome on this thread!
Help me out! Thanks!
Black Diamond Blasting Sand or Black beauty
available at most tractor supplys and harbor freights.
make sure to get the 20/40 for a thicker grain of media and fill it with some osmocote plus fertilizer, will not bother your corys or plecos
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
975 Posts
I like my ecocomplete but have had difficulties growing carpet plants in it (DHG and Monte Carlo). I just went with basic black sand on my new tank. Bdbs is a good choice as well. Haven't tried fluorite so I don't know

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
Black Diamond Blasting Sand. Looks good, easier to plant in and it's loads cheaper. Plus, you don't support the ridiculously misleading claims by Carib Sea and Sea Chem that their media provides nutrients for the plants

"Providing Essential Nutrient To Plant Root Structure Long Term For Success Planted Aquariums." -Flourite
"Contains major and minor trace elements to nourish aquarium plants." -Eco Complete
Total BS

·
Registered
975 Posts
"Contains major and minor trace elements to nourish aquarium plants." -Eco Complete
Total BS
I agree that it isn't like they say it is but it does come pre loaded with a nutrient mix (you'll see it when you pick the bag up and notice the liquid nutrient solution). This mix is typically completely depleted within the first few water changes. If you get this add tabs right away and column dose if that's your plan. Don't buy it for the nutrients buy it for its ability to hold organic debri that will break down and feed the plants long term (this takes a while but ecocomplete does this very well). It is very easy to work with and plant in. It hold plants very well but because of its larger grain size it can be difficult to spread a carpet with (even though I have seen Tom Barr point out a very beautiful thick carpet of dwarf hair grass in it). I went with sand this time because I will be growing plants with very tiny roots and I didn't want a sub started to make that more difficult.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.