The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have pond snails... Now no more.... I bought some Ram Snails to eat the dead plant matter and algae. I had like 25... now i only see 1 or 2... I am not sure if the Dojo Loach are eating them? I never seen them attack one? And i have 6 neons and 1 guppy... guppy came with the snails by accident :). All my fish are doing well no problems..

Here is a pic of the dojo

Got some BBA in there too... ugh

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Do you see any empty shells? The loach doesn't eat the shell. Chances are high that the loach is eating at least some of them. There's also a good chance that they know who their predators are, and are hiding out in the substrate.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont see any dead floating snails... hard to see the shells because the floor is covered. I had some lettuce in there to get a head count about a week ago and saw like 5.. now maybe 1... all the lettuce is gone. 1 of the 2 dojos is really fat :) but i never see him eating them.. didnt think they ate snails.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I'm pretty sure all loaches eat snails, but I guess I can't say for sure. If you can't say with certainty that you do or don't see any empty snail shells on the substrate, then I'd say it's a safe bet that the loach is eating your snails, and that there are empty snail shells in there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts