The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I cant keep snails alive. I put them in and its almost DOA. my ph is pretty low, and nitrates are present, but shouldnt they be ok? Ive only treated my fish with melafix, and only does Flourish. any help would be great.

TIA

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Haaa. Well, considering Im in Queens and LI too... trust me, I understand. First, I killed two nerites within 24 hours. My new nerites were drip acclimated and still don't seem too great, despite the fact that Im now adding baking soda and Seachem Equilibrium to my tank. I do have aquasoil and pressurized CO2, so my pH is below 6 and my kH and dH are so low that they're immeasurable.

Unless you want to get a buffering substrate or add some crushed coral to your filter, I say forget about most snails. Pondsnails and ramshorns will probably be fine, because their shells are so thin and they seem to survive in low pH. But I wouldnt torture apple snails or nerites or clithons with our water. Unless, of course, you want to go with the buffering substrate or coral.

Have you measured your water hardness? Do you have an exact reading on pH?

·
Registered
334 Posts
wait. is that why some of my snails, their shells look like there are holes in there? well TBH, there are holes....

no excel, water straight from tap and using ada soil.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Yes. The holes in the shells are from the shells decalcifying. Literally, the acidic water is eating away at them. Supplement the water with plenty of ferts and calcium, and provide calcium-rich foods for the snails to eat.

·
Registered
334 Posts
lol the water in FL is horrible. NO OFFENSE. HI water smells weird too. i feel so bad... im buyin dry ferts soon. Which Ca do they need? Im gonna be ordering GH booster and Plantex CSM+B. are there enough Ca in those things? or should i just crush Calcium supps and chuck them into tank.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Frosty, finally some people that get what I'm going through. My PH is like 6.5 and my KH ang GH are also non existant. I went to school in chicago, and that water smelled like bleach. Will MTS be ok for us? I wouldn't mind adding a lil crushed coral into my canister filter to get the PH up a lil bit. How much would you recommend? I have a 40 cube, with DIY CO2.

Does this also mean my project to start a shrimp tank is also doomed?!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
But at least our soft, acidic water creates a great lather in the shower! And did you ever smell everyone else's water in the rest of the country? It smells terrible.
True. People say that water in New York is the worst, but the opposite is true. I've tried water in many states and here in NYC it taste and feels the best. And because it's so soft, we save on shower gel too:)

As for nerites, I have them for about 3 months now and they seems to be fine. The holes you are talking about were already in my nerites' shells when I bought them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts