The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had green water for about 2 weeks until I decided to do 2 50% water changes last thursday, then saturday. Ever since saturday, it has still been cloudy except it now has a very very light tint of green. Any ideas and how I can finally make my tank clear?

Smalltank:help:

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
UV ricks...wouldn't do another tank without one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
UV absolutely

I wouldn't do a tank without one either. But you can get them a lot cheaper then that link that was provided. Try Ebay, just type in UV Sterilizer and they will come up. Shop around, prices vary quite a bit.

·
Registered
180 Posts
won't the proposed fix (Diatom filter and UV) be an overkill for such small tank ?

Are you using ADA Aquasoil ? Do you dose ferts, what kind of filtration (matured or not) and what light / duration ?

Regular water change is what i do for my nano tank. I do have the benefit of using water (well cycled and full of good bacteria) from my larger tank.

Just my little comment ;)

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
won't the proposed fix (Diatom filter and UV) be an overkill for such small tank ?

Are you using ADA Aquasoil ? Do you dose ferts, what kind of filtration (matured or not) and what light / duration ?

Regular water change is what i do for my nano tank. I do have the benefit of using water (well cycled and full of good bacteria) from my larger tank.

Just my little comment ;)
I had to get a diatom filter for my 10 gallon tank that had no canister filter. Without a canister, I didn't want to have to mess around with plumbing it with a pump to fit a UV filter. Water cleared up in 35 minutes after I got it working right.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I agree! get a UV. I got a turbotwist. It cleared up my green water in a day and a half. Just make sure you do SEVERAL watrer changes to get rig of all the dead algae. Blackouts work too. i've done 3.5 day TOTAL blackouts to get algae under control before i had my UV. not GREAT for the plants, but all mine were able to tolorate it. I have 2 ehiems on my 55 gallon. The small eheim classic runs almost all checmical filtration. the larger eheim is all biological. I have the UV on the smaller filter so it has a lower flow rate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had really bad green water in my 40gal. I did a 50% water change, covered it so to not let any kind of light in for 3 days. I uncovered it and did another 50% water change and that seemed to get rid of it nicely.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
If you have a small tank and think UV or diatom may be financial overkill or perhaps just too much equipment for the tank size, drop a 100ml bag or two of Seachem Purigen into a Hang On Back filter. Talk about clear water!

When buying Purigen, buy at least twice what you'll need. When you need to "clean" or "recharge" the purigen it'll be like an overnight thing soaking in bleach and you'll need a fresh bag to use immediately. You basically swap them rather than taking one out, cleaning it and then placing it back in the tank.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a hot magnum that I use a diatom filter. It works wonders.
I like it to if I know I'm having people over for the weekend, I throw it on the day before and it clears up the water like its not even there.
I just picked up a free uv sterilizer off amazon. Will have to see how it works.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts