The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank has a co2 ppm of 2.5

I've added a diy co2 running through a bubble stone and within 1 hour the ppm goes to 100

Is there a special mixture that you have to use on a smaller tank? If so can someone point me to that direction.

I have RCS and 1 otto in the tank. The otto freaked out whenever i add the co2 that's when i tested it and figured out the ppm were too high.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The amount of yeast determines how quickly the sugar will be metabolized. If you are getting too much CO2 back the yeast down.

What is your recipe?

For my 10G I use 1 Tsp of yeast and 1 cup of sugar and have not yet had any issues. I run the airstone under a small submersible filter to disolve all the bubbles.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had it backwards, I thought the more sugar you put the stronger it was and the more yeast you put the longer it lasted?

I must admit, i had setup my tank before and the bubbles didn't last more than a week. so this time i dumped the whole pack of yeast in it which might be what is causing the issue.

I put 1 cup of sugar to 1 pack of yeast.

I am trying to get a slow bubble that lasts a long time. If you have any recommendations on recipes for this please reply.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The recipe that I use (1 Tsp yeast w/ 1 cup sugar) has lasted 2 full weeks. Around day 10 it starts to slow down through, so I usually just replace the whole mixture every Monday during my WC.

I do this at work though, so maybe you could get away with letting it run out for a few more day, I just want to keep a steady schedule around the weekends.

My method:

Pour 4 cups of HOT water
Add 1 cup of sugar
Shake until fully dissolved
Add 2 more cups of COLD
Allow to sugar water to cool to room temperature
Add 1 Tsp of yeast
Shake until mixed well, sometimes the yeast likes to clump

1 - 5 of 5 Posts