The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sinds 2 days i have this weird looking green algae in my tank and i can't find it online. does anyone know what type of algae this is and what i need to do to get rid of it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree with Kubla. I had Christmas moss and gave about a pound away trying to rid it from my tank. That was 2 years ago. Today, it's everywhere. Breaks off, lands and starts growing. My substrate looks just like that. It can come hidden in the base of some plants if the plant was in a tank with moss. I know because it was only in my 75 gal. I moved some plants to my 55 low tech and now there's moss in that one too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with Kubla. I had Christmas moss and gave about a pound away trying to rid it from my tank. That was 2 years ago. Today, it's everywhere. Breaks off, lands and starts growing. My substrate looks just like that. It can come hidden in the base of some plants if the plant was in a tank with moss. I know because it was only in my 75 gal. I moved some plants to my 55 low tech and now there's moss in that one too.
Ok I have Java moss so that can it be. I will cut off everything I see and let’s hope it will stay away 😅

·
Premium Member
1,978 Posts
I'd let it grow a little and see what it is. Or if you really don't want it in the tank, put it in a bowl with some light. It might be something cool.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd let it grow a little and see what it is. Or if you really don't want it in the tank, put it in a bowl with some light. It might be something cool.
I haven’t cut it out yet because I am not home this weekend. I will let it grow and update you in a couple of days!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ok I have Java moss so that can it be. I will cut off everything I see and let’s hope it will stay away 😅
My biggest "plant enabler" to my problem is a massive java fern that has engulfed a piece of driftwood. It literally takes up 1/2 my 75 gal and the moss grows at the base of that java fern. I pull out clumps from the base to keep it down so it doesn't smother my fern. I need to thin my java fern or cut it back but it's so entwined I can't see where to cut and I'd have to take lights and both glass tops off one side in order to get it out. 😂

1 - 7 of 7 Posts