The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a paintball tank running on a 10 gallon and a paintball tank running on a 20 long. Both systems I made with single stage Praxair regulators, solenoids, the whole bit. The 20 long goes forever without replacing the bottle, the 10 I think lasted 2 months.

I must have a leak somewhere but I can't find it anywhere doing the bubble test. Is it crazy to try and submerge the reg to find the leak? I won't put the solenoid underwater (obviously) but I'm not sure how to find this leak. Is it possible that the reg itself is leaking?

Any ideas are appreciated.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I would advise against totally submerging the reg. Some regs have a diaphragm which is made of a rubbery/ fabric type material that doesn't do well after it gets wet. Depending on the water, minerals can wind up drying inside where they make things stick. But then that gets you back to finding the leak and a really thorough soap test should find it. Maybe a list of some things that might be overlooked would help review and maybe spot something?

All the joints in the whole thing are obvious but there are some sneaky spots. The meters on the reg can leak inside and the gas come out at odd places that seem safe. Like the screws on back or the edge of the glass on the front.
Around the shaft on any adjustment can leak if there is a small defect. Large CO2 tanks are more prone for this than paintball types.
Around the stem on the needle valve?
The solenoid itself can leak and the gas come out at a joint there.
A small nick or crack in the tubing that only leaks when the solenoid is passing gas and the tubing is twisted just right? This can be a killer to find with some tubing so I like to gas it up and then slowly run a hand along the tubing as I move it around. The gas is cold and you can sometimes feel it if you work slowly.

And last but not least? You may need a little luck!

·
Registered
152 Posts
There is a product called snoop. It is a leak detector that is used in industry to check for leaks in pressured gas systems. Basically it's just a concentrated soapy water. I use it to leak check my system, also it's available from amazon.

·
Registered
424 Posts
have you done the soapy solution test? 50-50 water with ivory dish soap. then wet down all of your connections to see if you are leaking (the leak will blow a bubble). Mine usually leaks going from the bubble counter to the tubing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.