The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a used tank a couple years back. I have pretty much everything I need for a planted tank build...C02 etc....the problem is the tank is 24" long x 18" deep x 21 high. It comes out to be some odd 39ish almost 40 gallon tank. Any 24" LED light is made for 20 gallon tanks and does not have the wattage to maintain a 40 gallon tank...and light good enough for a 40 gallon is too long.....do I buy 2 lights? $$$ I have reached out to Dustins about a custom build and awaiting an answer....in the meantime....has anyone ever have this situation? what did you do? This has turned out to be my first (out of many I am sure) snag in the building process....and even though I am taking my time and educating myself in this journey...this light thing has kinda stalled me for a couple weeks here....any input would be great.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
I picked up a used tank a couple years back. I have pretty much everything I need for a planted tank build...C02 etc....the problem is the tank is 24" long x 18" deep x 21 high. It comes out to be some odd 39ish almost 40 gallon tank. Any 24" LED light is made for 20 gallon tanks and does not have the wattage to maintain a 40 gallon tank...and light good enough for a 40 gallon is too long.....do I buy 2 lights? $$$ I have reached out to Dustins about a custom build and awaiting an answer....in the meantime....has anyone ever have this situation? what did you do? This has turned out to be my first (out of many I am sure) snag in the building process....and even though I am taking my time and educating myself in this journey...this light thing has kinda stalled me for a couple weeks here....any input would be great.
Rimmed or rimless?

Besides the above question the 2 24" that are close..
32W for a 40-ish
1 borderline, 2 fine.

Since I'm lazy this chart is not the "plain jane" planted plus which is stronger than this.
Point is it gives you an idea of PAR for like units

@ are usually recommended more for spread than par but certainly 2 is a bonus.
Note this is sort of max par.. Will drop off f/b l/r

all right found it.. this isn't a 24" model I think. Just gives an idea of falloff.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rimmed or rimless?

Besides the above question the 2 24" that are close..
32W for a 40-ish
1 borderline, 2 fine.

Since I'm lazy this chart is not the "plain jane" planted plus which is stronger than this.
Point is it gives you an idea of PAR for like units
View attachment 1027587
Tank has a rim.

Tank has a rim. I understand I need 2-5 watts to maintain a planted tank...had been looking at Fluvals

·
Registered
13,081 Posts

2 work..

2-5W isn't applicable..
1W led/gallon for standard tanks is just fine
CO2 can compensate for lower light..

As to the rimless there are clip ons (would need 2) that might work for you.

Or this if you want that high light

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for helping me with this...I have had plenty of 10 gallon aquariums...but when it comes to planted tanks and lighting I am pretty new for sure. I researched all that was recommended and went with this instead...It is not up yet as the tank is in the build stage...but I am hoping for the best and hoping I made a right decision. Thanks for steering me in the right direction
B Series WRGB Pandent Style Full Spectrum Aquarium Light with Built-in

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.