The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a really odd and very tall sized tank I am setting up.

I want medium-low light as I will just have swords, ferns, and anubias. The tank dimensions are 30 inches tall, 20 inches wide, and 18 inches depth. I was looking at a fluval aquasky but they don't make them in my tank size. It will overhang by 4 inches.

Is a finnex planted+ or other finnex light system ok for my tank?

Keep in mind that if it's too powerful it will just cause algae as the tank is very tall. That's why I want low lighting so it isn't too powerful up top.

A pendant like a kessil is ideal but I don't have enough money.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I have a really odd and very tall sized tank I am setting up.

I want medium-low light as I will just have swords, ferns, and anubias. The tank dimensions are 30 inches tall, 20 inches wide, and 18 inches depth. I was looking at a fluval aquasky but they don't make them in my tank size. It will overhang by 4 inches.

Is a finnex planted+ or other finnex light system ok for my tank?

Keep in mind that if it's too powerful it will just cause algae as the tank is very tall. That's why I want low lighting so it isn't too powerful up top.

A pendant like a kessil is ideal but I don't have enough money.

Thanks!!
Best bet is something like this:
http://www.dhgate.com/product/54w-l...iumsFish|c||&gclid=CNT89_7ijs0CFUw6gQodszwGbA

Reactions: AWolf

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
The light mentioned or another of near the same combined with a bent conduit type holder can give you a lot of flexible mounting. Have you seen how electrical conduit can be bent to hang the light above the tank? I find it is good for letting me work the light up or down as I see how the plants/algae go. I find I need lots of options before I settle on what works best.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The light mentioned or another of near the same combined with a bent conduit type holder can give you a lot of flexible mounting. Have you seen how electrical conduit can be bent to hang the light above the tank? I find it is good for letting me work the light up or down as I see how the plants/algae go. I find I need lots of options before I settle on what works best.
Which light (of the three) mentioned are you talking about?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Would a Finnex Planted+ 24/7 be a good option? Thanks

In a recent thread, that fixture was rated @ 51 PAR @ 20" from over
a glass cover. Not that this is checked by a PAR meter but rather guessing
at the reduction you would get after the next ten inches of tank reduced
it even more to somewhere between 25 and 30 PAR.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In a recent thread, that fixture was rated @ 51 PAR @ 20" from over
a glass cover. Not that this is checked by a PAR meter but rather guessing
at the reduction you would get after the next ten inches of tank reduced
it even more to somewhere between 25 and 30 PAR.
Like I said I would be doing low light, so would it still be low light all the way to the bottom of the tank?? I don't know PAR too well.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10-lighting/184368-lighting-aquarium-par-instead-watts.html
Very few plants will grow @ 25 PAR. The list does get a bit longer @ 30, but 35 would
open up a much larger amount of plants.
In that tall tank it's possible you'll need two fixtures to get better PAR.
Amazon.com : Sunblaster 904296 NanoTech T5 High Output Fixture Reflector Combo, 2-Feet : Plant Growing Lamps : Patio, Lawn & Garden
Perhaps a fixture such as that one along/w the one jeffkrol suggested.

On the other hand since your trying to not break the bank you could just try the one suggested by jeffkrol and see how it does on the plants by it's self
before you spend any more.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10-lighting/184368-lighting-aquarium-par-instead-watts.html
Very few plants will grow @ 25 PAR. The list does get a bit longer @ 30, but 35 would
open up a much larger amount of plants.
In that tall tank it's possible you'll need two fixtures to get better PAR.
Amazon.com : Sunblaster 904296 NanoTech T5 High Output Fixture Reflector Combo, 2-Feet : Plant Growing Lamps : Patio, Lawn & Garden
Perhaps a fixture such as that one along/w the one jeffkrol suggested.

On the other hand since your trying to not break the bank you could just try the one suggested by jeffkrol and see how it does on the plants by it's self
before you spend any more.
Ok I have a spare single bulb T5 6400K fixture. Would that work by itself? Would it be too much light?

Thanks.

I really need to get working quick and set up the tank. I want to fill it up quick and get the lights in with no algae on startup.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.