The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I have a sick juvenile salmon red rainbowfish in a 600L planted tank with lots of driftwood and good hiding spots!
I just tried for ages with a large and small net but no luck, she hides at the back of the driftwood. Can't catch her when feeding, she's too fast.
Any ideas?
She has an opaque rough white material (but not really fluffy like saprolegnia) on back and sides and also eyes. Sort of like tiny tiny dots but not large dots like ich. Or perhaps her eyes are just cloudy too. Fins and mouth ok. She's still active and feeding but is spending more time at the surface. Appeared in the last 24-48hrs. My guess is columnaris (although I really hope not!) so I really need to get her out otherwise it's just going to be survival of the fittest :(
It's most likely due to a CO2 error where it went too high about 5-6 days ago and fish were gasping at the surface. Already lost a nice Goyder river female that just disappeared overnight.
If I can't catch her, is there anything I can treat the main tank with that won't kill my plants and ruin my biofilter?
Any advice appreciated!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't really move the driftwood, they are huge pieces covered in mosses and ferns and we had a horrible time squeezing them in the tank originally!
It's a pretty deep tank (2.5ft) so that doesn't help either.
I actually don't think I can catch her so maybe I will just change the water frequently and try and find a safe medication to add.
Perhaps Paraguard? I know it's supposedly safe for plants - anyone able to comment on this? Is it ok for catfish and loaches?
Thank you :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Maybe u can block hiding spots with something here and there until she has no place to go then catch her with the net, baybe draining some of the water will help too

·
Registered
547 Posts
Catch her in the middle of the night a couple hours after lights out. Do not turn the lights back on. Use a flash light or something. Use two nets to corner or push the fish into the other net.
second this
I had to catch a pleco and a few corys and was told to wait till lights out and use a flashlight, the fish got that deer in the headlights thing where they just stood still staring at the light while i scooped them up
was surprisingly easy . not sure if they were still asleep or the flashlight stunned them but I'd say give it a shot

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your advice. Looking at the fish this morning I've realised that it's velvet, not columnaris. So I'll have to treat the whole tank anyway :(
Going to try Paraguard, it's supposedly fine for plants and doesn't discolour the water so we'll see!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Catch her in the middle of the night a couple hours after lights out. Do not turn the lights back on. Use a flash light or something. Use two nets to corner or push the fish into the other net.
I do this, except with a head-lamp and my hand to guide the fish into the net in the other hand.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I use a fish trap made out of a water bottle. You cut the top off of the bottle and turn it to the inside of the bottle. Tape together. Put the fishes favorite food in it and sink the bottle. Wait for the fish to swim in and then pull the bottle out. It can take awhile and sometimes you get the wrong fish but eventually the right one swims in. Fast the fish for a day or two and they go in quicker.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I recommend using two nets, first of all. And make sure at least one of them is quite large. You can use it for steering and corraling, or the scooping itself.

I tried to catch the surprised fish at night with the lights off and that didn't work. They were alert enough to swim away.

I did try the water bottle trick and it didn't work, but I suspect it could have if I used a bigger bottle. A standard bottle water is a bit small to entice even a cory cat (you can also try cutting a larger opening)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I spent a good hour today trying to net 4 Buenos Aires tetras in a 100 gal tank, mission impossible. Found the bottle trap idea online, made one up in few minutes and caught the largest two the first try, couldn't believe it. I have two more to catch, they apparently wised up to the bottle trap and wouldn't go in. After reading this thread I think I'll try my luck night fishing with the net again once the tank has been dark awhile.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Use caution when building the bottle trap. If you don't add some holes for water circulation, it can kill any fish trapped inside when the water gets stale. And yes, it can go stale pretty quickly if several larger fish are in the bottle.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I bought one huge net that is nearly the width of my tank for purposes like this. Keep this net pretty much in in one spot and herd the fish in with the smaller net.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts