The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered the Nova Extreme T5ho for my aquarium which I am setting up on saturday. It arrived today and is not working!!!

I have $60 worth of plants due to arrive tomorrow and no light :(

I am not missing anything am I? there is no special way the bulbs need to go in ? They are seated tightly

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Get a rubbermaid tub and fill with water. Then go to tractor supply or something of the like and get some clip on lights and reflectors. They are usually sold in the brids/chicken area used for heating lamps for winter. Go to home depot and get some CFL bulbs in the the same K range. You could put a powerhead in if you wanted but this will be better than nothing.

Not sure about the light. Call the company up and ask for a new one.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I am not missing anything am I? there is no special way the bulbs need to go in ? They are seated tightly

Are they the type of bulbs where the pins rotate into place? If so, try to gently rotate them to be sure the connections are made. I'm out of ideas otherwise, and darn it I hate to hear that after you finally made your decision you might be having trouble.

Agree with the other person who says you can get some clip on lights. Actually, even if you have a plain strip light laying around, you can use that. Your plants won't die if they go a few days with lower/no light until you get this sorted out.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
lowes, $10 for a standard 48" T12 shoplight fixture and get some 6500k bulbs. Cheap and should hold you over for the time being.

I feel your shipping woes... ordered a 72" fixture to have the thing come in with all bulbs broken and the fixture itself bent, thankfully I had not moved my fish and plants over yet!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gem you are a sweety :)

I just want to give two thumbs up to "That Pet/fish Place" customer service.

They really stepped up for me. It is their policy that they couldnt send a new light until they got the old one back and checked it out, OR if I paid for a new one.

However knowing the pinch I was in, they agreed to send a new one out today in the hopes that it will arrive saturday and they wont bill my CC unless the old one does not come back in a timely manner.

Customer service like that is very valuable these days so I just wanted to give them credit here.

If it doesn't make it by saturday I will def. go out saturday night and get those bulbs from home depot that you suggested. Thanks for the suggestion, I would not have known you could just go to home depot for something like that.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Gem you are a sweety :)

I just want to give two thumbs up to "That Pet/fish Place" customer service.

They really stepped up for me. It is their policy that they couldnt send a new light until they got the old one back and checked it out, OR if I paid for a new one.

However knowing the pinch I was in, they agreed to send a new one out today in the hopes that it will arrive saturday and they wont bill my CC unless the old one does not come back in a timely manner.

Customer service like that is very valuable these days so I just wanted to give them credit here.

If it doesn't make it by saturday I will def. go out saturday night and get those bulbs from home depot that you suggested. Thanks for the suggestion, I would not have known you could just go to home depot for something like that.
Pop them an email to this post. I sure they'd appreciate the endorsement.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My lights didnt come today but I don't dare to not plant the plants. Do you think they plants will be ok until the light comes monday or do you think I really need to go to home depot and get those t12s ?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I dont think they really need a shop light. they should be fine for a day or two until the new fixture arrives. even then, you can just put a desk light or something similar with a daylight bulb over them.

Were you able to keep the broken fixture? if so, try and fix it anyway ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.