The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been seeing pics of people planted tanks w/ no canopies on them. Their light fixtures are on stands instead of resting on top of the tank.

on the other hand, i AM using a glass canopy over my tank, i keep it clean but the question is, does it affect the wattage and light quality going into my tank? should i remove it or what?

and how would this affect water evaporation from week to week?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Open top tanks evaporate a lot of water. But, that helps cool the water in the summer. And, you can just add makeup water every few days for a couple of weeks without causing any problems. Eventually you will be building up too much GH and KH by doing that, so big water changes are needed too.

·
Registered
705 Posts
some ppl say that uv rays cant penitrate normal glass ( which to my knowledge they don't ) and this can reduce growth. you can use starfire glass ( iron depleted ) and uv's will penitrate that but its pricy so id just go open top.

P.S. i used starfire glass on my 20 gal to hold my light didint really notice anything.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Open top tanks evaporate a lot of water. But, that helps cool the water in the summer. And, you can just add makeup water every few days for a couple of weeks without causing any problems. Eventually you will be building up too much GH and KH by doing that, so big water changes are needed too.
i'm doing 50 pct weekly, would that be sufficient?

the light i'm using is a coralife 292 watt compact flourescent (2 - 92 watt bulbs)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts