The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
was getting annoyed at staring at the light on my 30 x high. tried to find a suitable canopy that would fit the 2 x dual bulb t5ho fixtures but could not find. looked at diy canopy builds and seemed too involved for a small tank. decided to give it a shot. i used some scrap laminate i had laying around (That's why you see some odd cuts in the pics) and that was a huge mistake (sanding the laminate and spraypainting didnt work out too well)...may even re cut in wood and redo. for the front access door i just took two shelf pins and used as swing dowels (Amazon.com: Platte River 941637, Hardware, Shelf And Support, Shelf Pins, Divided 5mm Shelf Pins, 20 Each: Home Improvement). all in all the basic idea was OK but the build could have been executed better.

just in case anyone was looking to do a simple canopy for a smaller tank, this design could be used for nanos even.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
One thing I've learned from DIY is that I always feel the execution could have been better! No complaints from me on that. But a little concern about the laminate around water. Is it going to work with the moisture? Some is MDF and swells like a dead pig!

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Unfortunately It seems you covered it already. I find hammertone spray froma can is very good at sealing those edges, apply it thick enough and it will hide just about anything.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Great, it will also hide some of the paint runs...
I build lots of electronic gadgets in my more productive days.
You can make really cool retro looking stuff with any scrap material and just green hammertone it till it looks like it came from a machine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.