The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to raise the co2 level. It seems to consistently stay at 4ppm. In my latest effort, I have replaced my Marineland Biowheel mini wave-maker with a Hagen Aquaclear 20 that produces disturbingly little surface movement. I have it loaded with the mechanical sponge, the biomax media and a small bag of peat moss (sphagun or whatever it is called). I left out the carbon as I currently do not have a need for it. I pre-seeded the sponge and the media with bacteria from a heavily populated Cichlid tank for a few days before adding it to my planted tank.

The Tank is a 15g tall (20"wX18"hX12d). It's occupants are a Betta, 3 Neon Tetra's (lost two over the weekend after the filter change) 3 Oto's, 1 Panda Cory (lost 1 a couple weeks ago.) and a few ghost shrimp.

The co2 is from a 3l diy Jello mold producing about 1 bubble every 3-5 seconds.

The PH is consistently at 7.4-7.5. The KH is consistently at 4. With those numbers, I am getting a co2 level of 4 based on the chart that came with the test kit.

Since I removed the biowheel and added some peat moss, shouldn't my co2 have gone up significantly causing my ph to drop?

The test kit is a Tetra Test Laborett kit purchased less than a month ago. I do not see any expiration dates on it. Is it possible the kit is bad?

Thanks.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I used ot use a test kit, and the results were always showing that I had almost no diffusion. After getting a drop checker, I learned that my diffusion was fine.

I use DIY with a limewood diffusor and my drop checker is always green...so long as I change sugar-yeast solution regularly. (2 bottles alternating to maintain consistancy)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am using glass and ceramic disk diffuser. I can see the bubbles coming out and most of them never reach the surface before they dissolve. I will look into getting a drop checker. Thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.