The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined planted tank! Im very greatfull to have you all to learn from- I've been in the hobby for a year now (both fw planted and sw) and LOVE IT!

I have this algae growing in my 1 year old nano tank and I still cannot ID it.

(Figured out how to add pics)
It's green, it grows out from one small general spot (like the size of a pinhead) into a pompom shaped 'poof', the biggest one is almost golfball sized. It's growing off of two of my snails (makes them look like they have hair lol) and my driftwood.

They look like dr Seuss lorax tree tops and are actually pretty neat looking.

Is this just really clean looking hair algae?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have a marimo ball shoved into my driftwood but this stuff is really soft but when you take it out of the tank it looses its form. Maybe it's from my tap water?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I searched GBA and only saw one pic that looked like it the rest didnt. So I guess I have two forms of beard algae then, the other kind grows completely different and spreads very easy. this on the other hand has only put off 6 'heads'. I hope my excel dosing doesn't kill the gba just the bba , I love the look of this stuff!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I want to kill my BBA but I want to keep this, I'm hoping it doesn't die when 1.5x dosing excel. It's good stuff, it pops off from its single node(I thought GBA mechanical removal was hard?) you can super glue the starting node to whatever you want. Do you think excel will kill it? (Hard to say I bet)

·
Banned
483 Posts
same

Have the same sort of stuff. I thought it was a offspring of java moss or an old artifact of the moss balls. Looks ok, not going crazy. The fish don't eat it either. Nor shrimp. I remove it via tweezers.

Excel will probably kill it if it's cellular structure is like other algaes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would do spot treatment of the BBA, should allow you to kill it without dosing the whole tank with high excel levels.

Just grab a pipette and squeeze some excel directly onto the algae you don't want.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.