The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was wonder about the difference between these two filters. Im debating on getting a canister filter but I know nothing about them. I have two marineland penguin 200's they offer 100 gallons per hour. And 400 gallons of circulation could you all clue me in to the ups and downs of switching filters. Thanks

·
Registered
352 Posts
the difference for me is a canister has more media space, usually more powerful, i can direct the intake and flow, the canister is slightly less of an eyesore since i can hide it underneath furniture, and im not sure if any hob can have the return beneath the surface(i havent seen one). With a canister i can place the return below the surface of the water. I also like to place my co2 tubing into the intake so the canister can diffuse it.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Canisters have more room for more media, doesn't have to be attached to the tank, inflow and outflow can be placed wherever you want in the tank. If you look up how a canister and a hob filter work, you can see the advantages and disadvantages of each type of filter.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I use both in all my tanks - canister for flow and large biological filtration, hob for backup bio filtration and surface agitation.

·
Registered
146 Posts
All I have been using since I got into the hobby are HOB's. I want a canister to:

-Save electricity
- increase media capacity
- increase light reaching my tank
-free up power outlets
- provide water filtration and circulation, and co2 diffusion from one piece of equipment
- free up 4 HOB's and a Co2 diffuser for other tanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts