The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all-

I am doing a total restart of my 54g corner tank. I've broken it all down, cleaned it up, and now am rebuilding and it's getting exciting. My eheim 2217 had performed well, but the motor broke right before I broke down the tank and I am considering something new.

I got an awesome 3d background made and it's amazing, so I'm now on a mission not to put much visible gear into the tank. There is room to put intake/output from the filters behind the bg. I'm starting to think that putting the intake behind the bg and the output in front would be perfect and would keep a bit of water moving through the bg.

I like the idea of a sump but it turns out the tank bottom is tempered and there isn't room behind it for an overflow box. So, I'm stuck with canister.

There is a little duct in the wall into the closet next door, and I've always wanted to keep the filter in there, for convenience and total silence. So, there will be a bit of extra tube length, probably a 4 foot total, but extra head.

I like things simple so I am hoping to get 1 very badass filter that will provide tons of filtration and water flow for this fairly small tank, and will have no trouble pushing water through an extra 18 inches of tube.

I like the idea of an inline heater but there just isn't a way to have one vertically mounted without the tubing having to travel about 12 inches back up to get through the duct in the wall, which seems a like a bad idea. Having a built in heater seems awesome, but the only one I can find that has it is the Ehiem series.

The 350t actually looked good to me - but I don't think it's available in the US!!

There is the Pro 3 Thermofilter - 2180 which is more a 300+ gallon tank, but would be awesome.

Are there any other manufacturers of filters with built in heaters? I totally get that it's obsessive to get everything out of the tank, hey it's my hobby and I love making it just how I like it :)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know, I actually like the 'simple cannister plus inline heater' approach better than what I suggested. (although I do love fancy, over engineered stuff!).

I worry a little about fitting the Hydor underneath the tank, and keeping it vertical. There is this perfect 4 inch duct into the next-door closet and I'm dying to keep the filter in there instead of underneath. The duct is very close to the bottom of the tank, maybe 7 inches below it, so if the filter is on the ground in the closet there will be a slightly long hose run, but it will all be downhill and then back up - no water traps, etc. which I think will reduce flow and also could lead to standing water if things fail.

If I put the hydor under the tank, the hose will have to go nearly to the floor then back up about 17 inches to get up to the duct. If I put it in the closet, it will be similar to get up to the top of the filter :)

I do appreciate you offering input instead of just naysaying my whole idea. I know I can have it all under the tank, or have exposed stuff, or squeeze it all behind the background, but for whatever reason I am stuck on the idea of having as much gear as possible in the closet next door. How many of us get to have an aquarium with a control room next door :)

Perhaps this problem where the hose run has to go down, then back up is not such an issue? I always think that when there are hose runs that can have water 'stuck' in a dip it's not good.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly I'm not up for a DIY these days. I enjoy that stuff but I just don't want to invest my time that way this year - busy year for me and time is limited!

I can't find a better solution so Im tempted do something like this:

- put the backgrounds in but make sure that there is a sort of overflow, because the bg won't go all the way to the top of the water. I have a nice white mesh I can use to make sure no fish go over the wall, and it will be hidden from view. the sides will be blocked with a bit of black foam.

- then, split the intake for the filter into 2 intakes, and put one behnd each of the background panels (there are two, because it's a corner tank, and this way there won't be much worry of stagnant water behind the bg's and also hidden intakes

- then use the filter output for current and just have it visible at the top of the tank - this is ok because I need water flow anyways

I measure it and can have enough space to hide a filter behind the bg, although it will be within 1/2 inch of the background at one point. I might try putting it horizontal.

This would be ok for me, and probably more reliable. Now I just need an Eheim workhorse!! It needs to be able to have 2 intakes and have enough output to handle a bit of head and an extended hose (nothing serious), plus add enough current to the water.

My 2217 was JUST enough, but I wonder if I might go up a level from there and really get a filter that will have tons of power.

I've decided to do a low-tech, low-light planted tank with anubias on drift wood (mainly) and not much growing on the substrate. Then, after a few months go with some discus! In the meantime maybe just a bunch of cardinals since they seem to love the Denver water.

Ahh, what filter to get!! :)
I want a workhorse, and I have great luck with Eheim.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice, and the 160 is on sale. I wonder if that would be crazy overkill for a 54g tank, but it would certainly do the trick!

http://m.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=14672

Bump:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm.. now I'm a little worried that the 160 will turn my tank into a wind tunnel for the fish! I could always lessen the flow by breaking the output into two or using a lily pipe, etc. but maybe it's just too much for a 54!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts