The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank is 40 Gallons, I'm currently running an Aqua Clear 30. It's a dearly loved filter that was on a turtle tank back in the 90s. The machine still runs fine.

The only reason why I'm considering a canister is so I can go to the inline diffuser instead of an in-tank diffuser.

I've read through the fun "Sun Sun debate" but I've decided to go with the Eheim pro 3 2071.

Before I order the new filter, will I need an extra shut off from the diffuser to the tank? How would I remove the diffuser for cleaning without getting water everywhere?

If anyone has a similar set up, could you share some pictures that might help me understand the set up better?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
You could use shutoff valves on either side to isolate and remove if you wanted to. I just shut my filter off and have a bucket close by, remove hose from back of tank and tilt it toward the bucket to dump most of the water out of it, and then remove the diffuser. I just keep the hose propped up so it doesn't drain out. It's actually very simple to remove and replace. Does your Eheim model come with a set of disconnects? I would go with an Eheim 2217 for that tank.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The 2071 has a disconnect to remove the filter, but there would still be water in the hose. So once it's shut off, drain the water and you're good to go, or go with 2 shut off valves.

Where would the diffuser be located? I saw a youtube video with a fluval canister and the diffuser was placed on the intank so the CO2 was mixed in the filter then put out to the tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts