The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Canister vs HOB filter....currently using Aquaclear 50, 30 and 30 on my tank....want to hear what everyone thinks about canisters or hang on backs....looking for input on whether I should make the change or not.

Currently using a 36 gal bowfront (will be upgrading to 55+ gal in future)
Pressurized CO2 injection with fertilization

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Canisters can give you more options for media usage due to larger capacity. They also allow less bypass the HOB IME.

Canisters will stick out if you do not have a cabinet to put them in unless you do not mind moving the tank a little away from the wall so the canister can fit behind the stand.

I would advise making the change.

·
Registered
430 Posts
IMO there is no comparison. Cannisters are the way to go for planted tanks. You can control flow in your tank way better, more options for media, easier to maintain, easier to hide, adds more water to your overall system.

The only real downside in my opinion is cost. But it is worth it. Besides, I find that you will save money in the long run on your media.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right ok....thats what I have been hearing. I do have a cabinet that it can sit in under the aquarium, which is ideal....I am living in Canada, a fairly small community, so my LFS is limited in the ones they carry. I have looked into the Fluval 205 and 305 models, as well as the Rena Filstar x2 model.....any thoughts on which is better?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
If you're limited by your LFS of having a rena or a fluval, myself, I would choose the rena. Having rena, eheim and fluval on all my tanks, I'm not too fond of the fluvals myself. If you go the rena, keep an extra HOB on as well. More filtration, the better.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have a fluval 405 and am very happy with it overall. The only downside I have found is the water outflow. The flow is not bad but there are no options for controling it - it is a single flow, one direction output. So, I ended up buying a spray bar which then meant I needed to buy some tubing as the fluval ribbed tubing wouldn't connect properly to the device, this also occured with my inline diffuser. The fluval tubing is great until you need to add something in-line with it. May as well just buy some new tubing when you get the filter....

I have never owned a Rena or an Eheim. I would consider myself still a noob to Planted tanks - this is just my first "Planted Tank" - but my old tanks all used HOB's of various models. So I can tell you that cannisters beat the hell out of HOBs.

If I were to purchase a cannister now it would porbably be an Ehiem as I have heard nothing but good things about these filters. This is the most expensive brand but they are the considered the "Best" by the majority of the users on this forum whom I have come accross - there must be a good reason.

This doesn't mean you can't get by with out the Ehiem. There are other products which are still very good and very functional. Like I said I am overall very happy with my Fluvals (I actually run 2 of them). If it comes down to price and options there are other good brands.

·
Registered
939 Posts
This is for aquarium up to 160 gallons...doesnt that seem a bit ridiculous for a 36 gal tank?
no, I have a canister that is 530gph rated for a 200 gallon on my 55 gallon and I have an emperor 400 on the other end and it is not too much.

An hob is a canister... just one with a hole in its side stuck on the back of your tank.
HObs are open to the atmosphere where a canister is sealed, with a canister you can put the output and input on opposite ends of the tank, also with a canister there is much less media bypass, HOBs are easier to clean. The only HOB that compares to canister is an AC110.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I would go with the biggest filter you can afford (being reasonable of course). The 305 would be very good but the 405 would be good too. Over filtering the water won't hurt one bit. The flow needs to be controled properly though.

·
Registered
430 Posts
the flow is like a garden hose...

IMO opinion you should add a spray bar so that you can disperse it more evenly. There are other options you may like better. You may even find that you prefer the "hose" output.

The filter itself does have a valve which can be adjusted to slow the rate of flow if need be.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Most filters will give you similar out put control. But one thing about the Ehiems I noticed is that they come with a spray bar and better attacments (most models anyway). And the company also produces many accessories you can easily find which will obviously go best with their filters.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.