The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im getting a 50gal and dont want to go HOB.
i would love to do something different from my other tanks ( which are HOB )

any input would be great.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I just set up my first semi-large tank and it is a 50G (48x13x18).

I use a Marineland Magnum 350 caniseter with a DIY spraybar that runs horizontally across the back. The spray bar sprays both straight down and at a 45 degree angle towards the bottom front. It has only been up for a couple weeks, but so far I can't complain about the circulation and certainly cant complain about the filtration.

I also use the return line (with shutoff valve and quick disconnect) from the canister to fill up my 5G buckets during water changes. It fills a 5G bucket in less than a minute.

http://www.petmountain.com/product/...d-magnum-350-canister-filter-100-gallon-.html#

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the input.
and
less than a minute is sweet ! lol

·
Are these real?
15,720 Posts
Both have their pro's and con's. Let me list some pro's.

HOB:

Price
Cleaning
Efficiency

Canister:

Capacity
Surface agitation (lack of)
Filter placement
Outflow placement
Inline equipment

That's all I can think of right now. If you go canister, read up on the specific model before you buy.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
IME canisters are far better than HOB's for planted tanks. I've used the Marineland C-series canisters for quite a while now and they are the best filters I've ever used. Like WP said, HOB's are east to access and clean, but canisters do a much better job and they don't outgas the CO2 in the water. For a 50g, a C-220 or C-360 would be ideal, depending on how much flow you like.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I used Emperor 400 for years, and liked that the maintenance was so fast, just a couple of minutes to change pads. I also liked the "self contained" aspect of no hoses or fittings to leak. However, I didn't care for the monthly expense of replacement pads, although I did find ways to reduce it. I also didn't like that the water level had to be pretty high, some of my cories bumped their heads on the glass lids when they would come up for air.
On some of my tanks, I've used an Eheim 2213, and liked the flexibility of the setup, you can put your intake and return lines anywhere you like, and run your water level as high or low as you like. The Emperor was fairly quiet, but you could hear it sometimes. The Eheim was much quieter, almost never making any audible sound unless it had an air bubble trapped in it. Usually had to look to see water coming out of the return line to know it was running. I also liked being able to simply wash out the media at infrequent intervals.
My rule of thumb for filters is, whatever the manufacturer CLAIMS the filter can handle, cut that in half, and purchase according to the size of your tank. So, if I were buying a new Eheim for my 75 gallon, I'd buy one rated for a 150 gallon tank, probably a 2217, although myself and others have used even the smaller 2213 and 2215 on tanks this large.
What works depends on how many plants you have, how much they shed leaves, what kind of fish and how many, etc, whether you are using anything else to help move water.
I personally don't like using more than one KIND of filter on a given tank, although I may use two of the same thing to achieve the desired level of filtration.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I agree with the other statements and wholeheartedly recommend a canister filter. I have two Rena xP1s on separate tanks that are moderately to heavily planted. They make the tank look nicer than a HOB and they disturb the surface much less which is important if you are going to add CO2. Don't forget to get an inline heater to go with the canister filter. That way there is even less clutter in the tank.

·
Registered
9,065 Posts
I run canisters on all of my tanks.Eheim 2213 on a 5.5g ADA mini-M, Eheim 2222 & Rena XP3 on my 55g, Eheim 2215 on a 37g Rena XP1 (boosted by an Iwaki MD-120 pump) on a 37g. I also have 4 10g shrimp tanks with 3-2213's and a 2215 on them. They just do a better job and look less cluttery. Maintenance on the Renas is the easiest of the canisters but the Eheims have better filter media compartments and are quieter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow you folks are great !
thanks so much for the info. im gonna price some canister filters at petsmart tomorrow, if they have them. lol
and hoping to catch my 50 gal or 75gal on sale ! lol
thanks again

·
Registered
1,742 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Unless you find a major sell with Petsmart they will never be able to come close to the prices you'll find with online retailers.

Petsmart price on the MAgnum 350 was $160, I paid $90. You will also be able to get extra media (3-packs etc...) with your order much cheaper than in-store.

I have always made my pet (reptile and fish) supply purchases from Petmountain because they always have a free shipping special ($100-$150 range), so I wait until I need a lot of stuff and buy it all at once.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I suggested getting pricing at the petsmart site because the OP sounded intent on going to the store. I buy everything online now days. about 4 years ago I bought a Rena XP 2 for $75.00 using the tactic I suggested. Unfortunately, you can't find the XP 2 at that price anywhere.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts