The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I'm planning to establish a bigger tank at home. Now I have a 112 l (70cmx40cmx40cm) and in a couple of months I'll start a 225 l (90x50x50). The older is a planted tank with strong led lighting (but no CO2) with a lot of amazon fishes and shrimp, the new one will be low tech in essence (only anubias, java fern and maybe some Echinodorus plants, with discus and cories).

First I was considering assembling a sump for this new tank, but as I'm not familiar with this kind of filter I decided to use a canister filter for now. My question: use the largest canister I can afford? Or use 2 small/medium canisters? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I would opt for a single suitable canister or an Aquaclear 70.
There is a notion among novice hobbyists that there's no such thing as too much filtration, but there is...and filters merely make water look clearer, but not purer. (see The Dirty Truth About Filters)
Note: I like the Aquaclear HOB's because we can control the media content and placement and the ease of servicing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've used all kind of filters among 30 years in the hobby (except sumps), but the biggest tank I ever had is the actual one. I used a lot of HOB filters in in the last 10 years. Now on the 112 L I'm using Eheim Ecco (model 2232).

I've seen some videos showing tanks with similar size running with 2 canisters. For a moment I thought about this for security reasons (one filter backing up the other) but I maybe I'm too paranoid lol.

I've seen a lot of good brands out there but here in Brazil basically there are sunsun, hopar, ocean tech (all of them from China) for an affordable price and fluval and eheim too expensive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.