The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of setting up a rack with 2x 20L feeding into a 29 at the bottom. The 20Ls would be drilled.

I would like to have a canister return from the 29 to each of the 20L.

I have a cascade that I will be reusing from my current 29 that I am confident can maintain good flow at the center rack.

My question is: what canister would you recommend for a return line to the top 20L? It would have to have decent head height and flow, enough filtration capacity to pick up the extra gallonage, and hopefully be short enough to run off of a 29 that will only be 3-4" off the ground.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
My personal choice would be none of the above. While the pump is similar, most pumps in canister filters are not really built to move water up 3 to 4 feet with out a lot of flow loss.

In a normal system the canister filter only needs to move water up a few inches, just enough to get the water over the top of the tank rim.

If I was going to do this, and I wanted a canister filter, I'd use one that had an external pump, such as Lifeguard, or Ocean Clear. This would let you use a more powerful pump, compared to what comes with most traditional canister filters.

One word of caution if your going to do this. If you have a power failure, water can back siphon through the filter system, no matter what canister filter you use. Make sure that you use some method to prevent this. This could ge a good check valve or by drilling a hole in the return pipe, just below the water level in the tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.