The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Just wondering have you setup your FX5 yet? For most part I have same tank, 48,18,25. I have FX5 as well. Trying to decide if I will need to build a spray bar.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm about to set it up in the next day or two. I'm going to place the intake and outtake on the same end. I'm just not sure if the output will be to much for my army of tetras and danios. You can turn down the flow on the intake and outtake on the fx5. If it is too much my backup plan will be a spray bar

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm about to set it up in the next day or two. I'm going to place the intake and outtake on the same end. I'm just not sure if the output will be to much for my army of tetras and danios. You can turn down the flow on the intake and outtake on the fx5. If it is too much my backup plan will be a spray bar
Cool please keep us updated, as I will be setting mine up in a few weeks as well.

What did you ever do about inline heater?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Fluval recommends putting them at opposite ends of the tank. And I definitely recommend a spraybar, the increased surface agitation is greatly beneficial.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
432 Posts
So on the same end would be a circular motion where opposite ends would be more of a run way flow. I love the ideas of a spray bar but war to avoid the bulky look on a open top tank
I don't think it would look very bulky, depending on the positioning of it. If you place it at one end of the tank, running front to back so that it sprays the length of the tank, I think that would minimize its profile and make it less noticeable.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Don't forget the Osaka has that silver trim band at the top which will hide all kinds of evil if you use it properly.

What I'd do is put the spray bar at the front of the tank, hidden behind that trim and have it spraying towards the back of the tank. That way you get the benefits of a spraybar with it being practically invisible.

·
Registered
387 Posts
In my experience, it hasn't worked like this. Stop the strong flow part at about 1/3rd the tank length from the out put, then fill the rest of the tank with weak to no flow at all.

Sounds like you might have just needed a stronger filter for how long the tank was

·
Registered
432 Posts
Sounds like you might have just needed a stronger filter for how long the tank was
I was (and still am) running a fluval fx5 on a 6ft, 125 gallon tank. Not to certain that this was the issue.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts