The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been doing a lot of research on which filter I want to use on my 17 gallon planted tank and I've come down to two choices: The Fluval 206 or the Eheim 2213. I've heard good things about each and I know each system has its flaws. I've read about how people love Eheim filters but in the past couple years the quality of the product may have dropped. Does anyone have any opinions on the new Eheim 2213 ($99) vs the new fluval 206 ($107)? Much appreciated!

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Don't know the new 2213's but I run a 2211 on a 20 long and really like it. Used eheim since the 80's. Last one I bought was a year and a half ago and the quality seemed fine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
I see no difference in the quality of the current model Ehiems and older. The features are all still the same. So the question of current quality would seem to have to come from using a bit thinner plastic? So how much drive would there be to save a tiny amount of plastic if you have to rework all the dies used to form that plastic? To cut costs, it would seem more realistic to drop some things like the ceramic impeller shaft, etc.
To me, it sounds more like a number of folks who complain that "things just aren't as good as they used to be." Maybe it is true, but I can't spot it.
But that aside, I do now feel there is less reason for me to be a true fan of Eheim as the features on the old Classic line are beginning to be just that. A bit "old"!
Some of the newer models of other brands are now including some better features and at less cost.
Look at small things like trays and how the tubing is connected/released on cleaning. Cutoffs on the old Classics are a bit funky? Throw in looking at the price of the "wear items" that do need to be replaced as they wear out and I've now moved my preference to the Sunsun line.
Fluval, I have had and do not recommend the plastic they use as it becomes brittle and the design is not good for me.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have no personal experience with Ehiem products but have always heard good things about them. As for Fluval, the experiences ​I've had with Hagen products (going back to the mid '80s) have usually not been good ones. I have found many of their products to be inherently faulty, possibly only in execution, if not design. I currently own a couple of Fluval 305 filters I received included in a package deal, and have found that they are prone to leaking heavily, even with brand-new seals. From what I've read, this seems to be a recurring problem for them, due to too large tolerances in the fit of the design, and could be easily solved by providing a slightly thicker rubber seal, yet it persists throughout each "new generation" of the same filter design. That said, if you can keep it from leaking, it does a great job of keeping the water very clear, but I suspect many of the newer multiple stage/tray designs of other brands will likely filter just as well, provided there is no bypass.

There are several other choices of canister filters out there at various price points, and I'm sure each has its own pros and cons; it's just a matter of deciding what issues are most important to you and researching a lot of reviews to find the one that best fits your requirements and budget.

One fault I'm aware of in certain designs (and to avoid) is that some filters made with an integrated UV "filter" have the UV unit as the first stage, in that the water is exposed to the UV light before any other filtration occurs. This is the wrong setup for several reasons; the UV unit should be the last thing the water passes through before re-entering the aquarium.

Hope this helps!

Olskule

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
Point on the Fluval? I had the sealing problem and went with replacing the main seal at the top. I found they sell the seal, impeller and shaft all in one kit which cost me around $40! OUCH! But then when I placed the new seal, I found the real problem was not the seal but the plastic. As the new seal was fatter, not used, it forced the plastic and I got this:

The plastic where the seal set is too thin! I missed seeing the small crack which was leaking until it became a fatal flaw in the head of the filter. Death blow?

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I haven't tried that many brands, but I can only attribute that to starting with Eheim years ago. All of my filters are seemingly bulletproof. I have several of the 221/2213's up and running and can't complain one bit. No leaks, no issues, no hassles (once you easily sort out a simple priming strategy). 2 of my 2213's have been running for several years. Also have a couple of the 4+250 and a single 4+350 sitting on the side for tanks I haven't had the time to set up yet. No clue how well they work but the build quality looks on par with my Classic Series. Sorry for the skewed review... it's the only filter I really run now.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Running a 2213 on my 5.5g. Love it. I did experience noise coming from it. If you don't remove all the air from the system it will make noise. Simply shake it after you prime it and you will hear it gargle out the air. After that... you can't even hear it.

Edit: make sure the filter is on when you shake it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
852 Posts
I'm running an eheim pro 4 250 on my 45g,and a pro 4 350 on my 55g.I just thinking,because I want to add a canister to our 35 hex.I have the 2 filstars I removed from the 45 and 55,but I got to thinking,things really started to click in both tanks when I installed the eheims in place of the filstars.Coincidence?

the eheims I have came with all the media,and most others don't.some the media can be pricey,and that cost needs to be added to the base price of many of the canisters out there.

I would avoid the filstars.they say they come with "bio-stars",what a joke,they give you exactly 5,lol.

·
Registered
852 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.