The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20 gallon long tank and I want to upgrade to a canister filter so I can use an inline heater (heater is too long for a 20 gallon long tank) and I'm thinking about getting the "Marineland Multistage Canister Filter" would this be a good filter or is there a better filter at a good price?

Also I have a divider in the tank for certain fish, is there a way to split the intake/outtake of the filter make sure both sides get equal filtration?

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
You can definitely split the input and output as you like. It only takes a couple pieces from Home Depot or Lowe's. I have a couple Marineland 350 pro systems. You'd be good with the regular one (not Pro) although if you want bio wheels you can get the pro. This is certainly more filtration that you need, but canister's usually only pump half of the rated gph anyway. Especially since you would split the input and/or output, you aren't going to get real high flow.

I really like these for their simplicity. Plus, you can see into the filter to monitor everything. They are real quiet so that's a plus, a slight hum, but nothing I ever hear unless I'm up against it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can definitely split the input and output as you like. It only takes a couple pieces from Home Depot or Lowe's. I have a couple Marineland 350 pro systems. You'd be good with the regular one (not Pro) although if you want bio wheels you can get the pro. This is certainly more filtration that you need, but canister's usually only pump half of the rated gph anyway. Especially since you would split the input and/or output, you aren't going to get real high flow.

I really like these for their simplicity. Plus, you can see into the filter to monitor everything. They are real quiet so that's a plus, a slight hum, but nothing I ever hear unless I'm up against it.
So I should get a filter that is double/triple the recommended ones.
But how do I split the output/input?

·
Registered
496 Posts
hello does anyone know how to split an canister filter outtake/intake?
and are the marineland canisters any good?
you can get hose barb t's or y's are better, at a building supple place
you can use stainless steal hose crimps for safety
you will need extra tubing

the marineland canisters have a large media area and good flow
my marineland 360 is rated at 360gph and i think it really does
unlike my fluval 404 that says 340 gph but gives maybe 200 haha
just quess work here but the marineland has what seems like doulble the flow of the fluval
it also has double the media volume

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you can get hose barb t's or y's are better, at a building supple place
you can use stainless steal hose crimps for safety
you will need extra tubing

the marineland canisters have a large media area and good flow
my marineland 360 is rated at 360gph and i think it really does
unlike my fluval 404 that says 340 gph but gives maybe 200 haha
just quess work here but the marineland has what seems like doulble the flow of the fluval
it also has double the media volume
Okay thanks.
For a 20 gallon should I get a c-160 or c-220?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.