The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone

First of all I want to say that I have gotten some really good advise from this forum. I am a long time lurker/first time poster. I am currently in process of starting a 55 gallon freshwater planted tank. I am unsure on what type of Canister filter I should get for it since what I understand is that they are the best for planted tank. I was thinking about going with a Marineland C-360 but then i read somewhere on the forum where some people were saying they aren't well made. I am personally a Marineland Aquarium fan I absolutely love my 60 gallon Marineland tank and HOB Biowheel 350D. but I want to get into aquascaping and want to keep as little equipment in the tank as possible. This is what I will be putting in my Tank

*100 lbs of Eco Complete substrate topped with 10-15 lbs of reg gravel
*Aquatic Life Light T5 HO 2-Lamp Link Fresh Aquarium Light, 48-Inch (got my heart set on it)
*2x 2 litre bottle DIY CO2
*A good canister filter.

Thanks in advance and sorry if i broke any rules by posting in this section as my first post cheers.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Gotcha. Some of your spelling (litre, advise) made me think you were from Europe. Anyway, I've been running my current setup for about a month. Before that, I had a fluval 204 running on a 30 gallon for 5+ years. Never gave me trouble. I can't speak on any other kind of cannister filter as I've only used fluvals.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotcha. Some of your spelling (litre, advise) made me think you were from Europe. Anyway, I've been running my current setup for about a month. Before that, I had a fluval 204 running on a 30 gallon for 5+ years. Never gave me trouble. I can't speak on any other kind of cannister filter as I've only used fluvals.
sweeeeet....are you able to remove the chemical filtration from this filter, correct me if I wrong but carbon filtration removes important nutrients from water doesn't it?

·
Registered
274 Posts
The filter media is customizable. It comes set up with the default recommended media, but you can change it up. For example, i put peat in my filter as New Orleans water is harder than LL Cool J. I can't speak on the carbon; I never use it, but it can be removed if you want.

·
1,983 Posts
I've only recently acquired canister filters and have 2 Fluvals. They're easy to service and are highly customizable as far as media is concerned. My 404 has MarinePure bio balls and lava rock and the other (not set up right now) will have ceramic rings and lava rock. I don't run 'chemical' filtration as it takes up room that would be better used for bio media. The only reason to run carbon is to remove medications or funky smells. Eheim is always the go-to canister.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I've always used Fluval. The Fx are outstanding design. The 06 series are nice as well. They are quiet, all the baskets are interchangeable and you can add remove whatever you want. The primer plunger was a problem for older models, the new designs seem to have fixed the issue. I know that many people like Eheim and I've heard good reviews for Sun Sun as well.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have used nothing but Fluvals as well and I love mine and have never ever had problems with them. I own 3 and they have been nothing solid. Keep in mind you can never over filter a tank so for that one I would go with a Fluval 406. Give you 4 media trays too. You can put whatever you want in them. It comes with media but you don't have to use it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.