The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
When setting up my 72 gallon planted discus tank, I purchased two Eheims Filters.(2128 & 2028-both Pro IIs). Thinking more is better, I bought over sized filters, supposedly for tanks up to 90 gallons.(each) Lately I have had a bacterial,, as well as an algae problem. I have been advised, that I don't have enough filtration for the size tank, and the bio load. GPH should be 10-15X the tank volume Checking the filter specs, I found that the 277gph is the pump output, and the flow is 172/198 gph. (with media). So with a combined flow rate of 370gph is that not CRAP?

Is that not totally underpowered?? Its a little over 5 X the volume....
So now, I am looking for another canister filter, to add to the tank with the two Eheims. After spending over 600$ on the Eheims (with media) which cost more than the fish tank, and stand, I am thinking of purchasing the Marineland C-530 Canister Filter....... According to the specs, the flow rate is 530 gph, WITH Media. Its cheaper, with more flow, and better customer service than Eheim.

Does anyone have experience with this canister??

Is my above analysis of my situation flawed?
Thanks

·
Registered
674 Posts
I think those filters are fine for the tank. Maybe you are running the lights too long. When i just started I was running 2 2215's on a 75 gallon and it was fine..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think those filters are fine for the tank. Maybe you are running the lights too long. When i just started I was running 2 2215's on a 75 gallon and it was fine..
Due to algae problems, I am using an eight hour photoperiod.
The water seems cleaner since I have added a Magnum 350.

I have a couple of discus, known to create a heavy bio load.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I was gonna say that it seems like you have a good amount of filtering (unless you happen to have a bunch of cash to add to the system - though the discus do seem to imply that :)) but then I read that you're keeping discus.

Couple things you might do - obviously adding a filter would increase filtration and flow; but this may not be your problem.

I'd definitely explore your trace nutrients and try dosing (or decreasing) experimentally and see how it turns out. Because your algae may be thriving b/c your plants aren't fully utilizing available nutrients due to the lack of trace nutrients. Same with bacteria = available resources not being utilized = opportunity.

I'd also consider the shorter photoperiod recommended b/c you might have too much light (again if you're dosing in the proper proportions you can promote outsize / unnatural growth without algae) but if your problem is too much light, then the dosing *properly / proportionally* + right nutrients + adequate # / amt of plants to handle nutrient load should address the problem (and would be a lush, planted way of dealing with it without investing in a new filter).

PS: Please excuse the rambling / any place where that didn't make sense, we're in the middle of a test block and so sleep + coherence have taken a backseat to learning biochem / anatomy for the last week or so.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I run my lights for 5 hours/day, starting when I get home from work. No algae problem here.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I run my lights for 5 hours/day, starting when I get home from work. No algae problem here.
Do you have a planted tank? I have read that an eight hour photoperiod is the minimum for plant growth. My lights (CF) are at 2.16 wpg......(65 x 2 / 60 gals)..............
I tried the "siesta " photoperiod----4 hours of lights/ 4 hrs. off/ 4 hours of lights. Seemed to help slow the algae growth. But it was suggested that the fluctuations of Co2 (on/off-on/off daily), wasn't good, so after a few months, I gave that up.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a heavily planted 75 gallon community tank, just lots of Anubias. They seem fine with 5 hours of 30 watts total lighting each day.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was gonna say that it seems like you have a good amount of filtering (unless you happen to have a bunch of cash to add to the system - though the discus do seem to imply that :)) but then I read that you're keeping discus.

Couple things you might do - obviously adding a filter would increase filtration and flow; but this may not be your problem.
Its been suggested that I need more filtration, apparently the guidelines are:10-15x 60 gals---esp for Discus.

"I run about 10-20x the tank volume for filtration.
This means good filtration, canister/wet/dry/UV etc.
I'd suggest a UV for $$ fish also. Run during day time only.

Might take Gerry up to isolate the CO2 issue, but.........this might not have anything to do with plants or CO2 etc.

Water changes always help both Discus and plants.

With 10-20x the tank volume moving around, this is NOT a simple bare tank. This is a planted tanks with scaping etc, wood etc. This greatly reduces flow and provides plenty of regions for the fish to get out of the current. Fish get lazy in a small glass box, they need exercise, they have more vigor and eat better when they do.

Current is greatly reduced by plants, roughly 10X as much in a dutch style planted tank.

So keep that in mind, I shoot for 82-84F for the temps."

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts