The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just got my first canister filter, and will be getting another one in less than a month. I want to hook up a diffuser and/or reactor in-line, and possibly a heater as well. When doing this, there's a good possibility the tubing that comes with the filter is different than what the in-line device is designed for.

So my questions:
A) Where do I buy additional tubing from? Does a store like Home Depot sell it? If so, what section/name is it?
B) Where can I buy clear rigid tubing at? (for making a longer intake tube)
C) If I need to connect two different sizes of tubing together, or tubing to an input/output of a different size, what do I need to buy? What's it called, and what type of store carries it?
D) Good/stupid idea to hook a sponge filter to the input? This first one is going into my Molly tank, and the strainer on the input has large enough gaps that it will easily suck in fry. I'm thinking if I put a sponge filter on the end it will prevent that from happening, as well as provide some in-tank biological filtration.

To head off any question. The filters are a Fluval 105 and a Eheim 2211. I have already asked my LFS, and they don't carry any of the above (with the exception of the sponge filter).

·
Registered
9,102 Posts
HD/Lowes sells cheap vinyl tubing and also for a bit more money you can get the thicker reinforced tubing. Im not sure what type of material you could use for an intake but the hardware stores should have some PVC and you could always paint it with Krylon Fusion which is tank safe after it dries. You will need tuning couplings that either reduce or increase in size, they also sell these. They are probably in the same area as the tubing and if you ask an employee they will be able to show you where it is all located.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Swung by Home Depot. They had the vinyl flexible tubing. Any idea where to get the rigid tubing usually used in intakes? Or do I just use PVC? Also, is PVC available is something smaller than 1/2"? That's all I could find.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've definitely had my share of trips back and forth to different hardware stores, and I've had a hard time finding exactly what I needed. I searched for the mythical black pvc and came up short. You can always krylon whatever size pvc you find/require, but has definitely been a quest and a half searching in the Chicagoland area for me. Good luck!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Your fluval probably needs 5/8ths interior diameter clear tubing to fit over the connection nippples. If the 105 is like its big brothers, you can bring the quick connector with you to make sure. Maybe the 105 uses smaller hose though. Can't speak to the eheim. HD or Lowes will have everything. Start with drinking water plumbing for fridges etc section.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
LFS's usually have no-kink hose in all kinds of diameters. It's black and looks like ribbed ABS but it's smooth on the inside. You might want to check some local stores for it - Pond retailers are a good bet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.