The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a low tech planted 55 gal with and want to use a canister filter. What is everyone using inside the canister ?

Thx

·
Registered
363 Posts
Seachem Matrix as well as some of the fiber pads and sponges for my SunSun HW-302. Matrix is great in my opinion. Cheaper then bioballs or rings, and more surface area(supposedly, I haven't measured)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Coarse filter pads
Fine filter pads
Felt 50 and 100 micron filter pads
Fluval Biomax (Seachem Matrix is fine. I would buy whichever was cheaper per ounce at the time)
Seachem Purigen
Bioballs with foam inserts in center
Prefilter ceramic rings (after the coarse filter)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am using an Eheim 2213 for my 15G and I must say I'm truly impressed, it's my first and traditionally I've been using Aquaclears and tried some other HOB filters.

The Eheim 22XX series all come with the filter media which is awesome, has the sponges, floss, and two types of hard media :)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Currently for Fluval 206 (in order), course foam, Bio-foam, Carbon, Fine filter water polishing pad, SeaChem Purigen. I've been trying Fluval Clearmax, recently in place of the Perigen, to control high nitrates levels. I don't have a verdict on wither its better that Purigen right now, but by the end of the month I should have some results.

I don't bother with a bio-media, as the tank itself is home of the bulk of the bacteria.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I use two layers of filter pad cut to size, topped with non treated pillow stuffing, then ceramic cubes again topped with pillow stuffing. I find no need for big name products, seems a waste of money, occasionally when my tannins get too dark, I'll use puregen for a week.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts