The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Fluval 305 on my 55 Gallon planted tank. The 305 doesn't seem to have enough flow for my tank as I am getting very little water movement on the end of the tank opposite my spray bar. I have decided it is time to upgrade my filter. This time around I would like to try a Eheim filter specifically the professional series. I am looking for some advice as to what size filter would be recommended for my tank and if anybody here has a professional series Eheim filter and whether they are a good filter or not. Thanks alot.

PS. I currently have a inline heater as well as a co2 diffuser hooked to my fluval 305. I would like to reuse the heater on my new filter and possibly the co2 diffuser unless I switch to a intank type.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I just picked up an eheim 2215 for my 55gal. Haven't set it up yet, but ill let you know it works out. I had the same issue with the emperor 400.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I know it sounds like you have your mind made up. The first thing I thought was for you to get rid of the spray bar. I had the same problem with my 10 gallon & it slowed the flow down. In my case the external canister was underpowered as well. So I added a fluval 106 which I am very happy with. I run dual externals now. My tank is crystal clear with No algae! In your case you did not mention any additional circulators/ filters. Before dumping the 304 I would get rid of the spray bar & let it blast. I would add a power head with sponge for extra circulation. You could even add a second fluval say a 106 or even a tiny zoo med501 . Why, more filtraion + a slower flow that would be great for uv for killing parasites because of a longer dwell time + constant filtration even during filter cleanings. It would also be less expensive than buying a 406 or big expensive overkill eheim! The 406 is what I would have run in the first place but you would still need a powerhead for additional circulation just like you will need with the eheim pro, which is going to throw a lot of money away & still be under powered with flow!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.