The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an all-in-one UNS 60A with a twinstar S series and forced Co2 and want to upgrade to a canister filter (likely with lily pipes) to increase circulation to help CO2 diffusion. I'm leaning strongly towards an Eheim 2215 with inline CO2 diffusion. Any input on whether a 2215 is sufficient or if I should go with a 2217? Also, I'm confused about lily pipe recommendations/sizes AND which in-line CO2 diffuser size I need with the canister. As I understand it, it goes inline on the return to the tank, correct?

My plan is to eventually change the tank out for a non-AIO or size up slightly. I'm fairly certain that tank flow is the core issue as a) I'm constantly fighting algae overruns in the tank b/c of the high-powered LED (even with manual removal, constant 30% water changes and months with a 4 hour photo period). I've used ferts out the wazzoo with no change in results. Plant growth is relatively strong in terms of length, but the growth is really weak with few leaves and just lacking any fullness. Also, even with 2+ bubbles per second in the checker, I can't get my (newly acquired) drop checker to read any improvement in CO2 levels in most areas of the tank. I'm currently using an Aquario Neo CO2 diffuser in the tank. Thanks for any advice!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Depends on your desired flow rate. I have a 2215 on my ADA 90P and I actually have it turned down to maintain about 50 gph (tank is 44 gallons). Max flow rate with my setup (lots of inline stuff and 180 degree bends in 1/2" PVC piping) is about 75 gph. I keep the flow rate low because I have a betta in the tank and I don't want to blow him around.

You should put basically everything on the return line from the filter to the tank so that it gets the filtered water (less chance of clogging or breakage). I use 1/2" tubing (12/16 mm) and 1/2" PVC piping for my setup with the 2215. I have a solenoid valve on the intake line (from the tank to the filter) that cuts off when power is lost or if there's a leak. I have probes (pH and temperature), liquid fertilizer injection ports, a heater, flow meter, CO2 diffuser, and UV sterilizer all inline on the return line (from filter to tank).

Plant growth is good after changing from ADA fertilizers to PPS-Pro. I had a green and brown algae problem when I first set up the tank (part of the reason I got the UV sterilizer) but that has been under control for a while now, even before I installed the UV. The issue I currently have is with cyanobacteria climbing up the glass every month or so and I'm trying to control that with lighting at the moment.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
When in doubt on size go big for the small change price difference. One big point is that you can easily turn the flow down on the 2217 but you cannot turn it up on a 2215 !
It is standard practice and recommended by Eheim to close the output valve part way if you want to reduce flow.
If you buy too small, it requires a large expense to buy a second filter!

·
Registered
575 Posts
I don't know anything about troubleshooting CO2, but a cheaper short term fix could also be to get a dimmer for your light.

This is a long shot, but you're sure you've got the existing pump adjusted all the way up? It's not that large of a tank, so you'd think getting adequate flow would be within the capabilities of the provided pump.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.