The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What canister filter would you guys recommend for a 90 P sized tank (90x45x45cm 48 gallon). I currently have a custom 25 gallon with an the 350 ehime 4 pro but it is also running a co2 reactor chamber and a inline heater. The flow is fairly low after the two inline so I do have a mp10 as a powerhead in my tank which pushers around 300-1500 gph I think.

I was thinking going with a oase 600 with the internal heater so I could have only one inline device (co2 chamber). Will the 600 be enough flow? It only does around 350 max but half that as this is the company specs, so only around 175 gph. This is only 3-4 time turn over but I would have the mp10 still so should have enough flow in the tank itself. The only canister filters that might be able to do the high turnover in the fluval fx and I don't like the hoses etc on them.

Anyways open to recommendations for a filter on this 48 gallon planted, given that I will have a mp10 as well but need to run my co2 reactor chamber and maybe a inline heater as well.

Is the oase 600 a good choice or maybe just go with ehime 4 pro 600.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would recommend Eheim Pro 4+ 600. I have read too many bad reviews of Oase.
BTW, What is the current state of your 25gallon tank? Did you finally find out what caused the brown algae in your 25 gallon tank?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ive just set up my 90P with an Oase 600 thermo. Even when i packed it with lots of fine filter floss replacing the stock coarse foam, there's a huge amount of flow (can see it due to inline diffuser mist). Almost a hurricane. So I'd say its more than enough.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ive just set up my 90P with an Oase 600 thermo. Even when i packed it with lots of fine filter floss replacing the stock coarse foam, there's a huge amount of flow (can see it due to inline diffuser mist). Almost a hurricane. So I'd say its more than enough.
I'm am trying to figure this out, I had watched one video where it was said that the lever that is used to release the intake and input manifold can be used to control the output flow. I am looking at the 250 for a new build . I use a Cobalt EXT canister on my 46 gallon which has the same style quick disconnect that can be used to reduce flow if desired. So can I kindly ask if you could take a minute and try it and let me know, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes if you move that lever it does change the flow, but the manual didn't say that, and when I move it off center to reduce flow, it sounded weird (like lots of turbulence or bubbles). Looking at the way the seal is designed, IMO it probably works but not intentional. I would not do it that way. I just stuffed the trays with lots of fine floss to reduce flow to the level I like.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes if you move that lever it does change the flow, but the manual didn't say that, and when I move it off center to reduce flow, it sounded weird (like lots of turbulence or bubbles). Looking at the way the seal is designed, IMO it probably works but not intentional. I would not do it that way. I just stuffed the trays with lots of fine floss to reduce flow to the level I like.
Thanks for checking it out. Seems there is a lot of issues with these filters. I think I'll find a different brand.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
This is about the limit of what I think the oase is good for. There is someone on the forum happily running one on a 75 gallon. I have an fx4 on my 75 gallon and I can't imagine going less in flow. I think you could happily run an FX4 on your tank as well.

That said, I am SUPER excited for a new filter I just purchased for my newt tank, but have yet to receive. So I can't give you review yet. Fzone has apparently copied the ADA power jet filter design and is making their own version at a fraction of the cost using DC pumps. This is awesome because 1) dc pumps are incredibly quiet, 2) dc pumps are variable speed so you can dial in your flow speed. The bad news is that the filter is missing some of the quality of life features most other filters have. Notably you can't disconnect the darn tubes without spilling water everywhere. This means I will need to install inline ball valves on both lines just so I don't siphon out all the water in my tank everytime I need to do filter maintenance. Here is a link for the filter in CA in case you are interested.

·
Registered
90 Posts
This is about the limit of what I think the oase is good for. There is someone on the forum happily running one on a 75 gallon. I have an fx4 on my 75 gallon and I can't imagine going less in flow. I think you could happily run an FX4 on your tank as well.

That said, I am SUPER excited for a new filter I just purchased for my newt tank, but have yet to receive. So I can't give you review yet. Fzone has apparently copied the ADA power jet filter design and is making their own version at a fraction of the cost using DC pumps. This is awesome because 1) dc pumps are incredibly quiet, 2) dc pumps are variable speed so you can dial in your flow speed. The bad news is that the filter is missing some of the quality of life features most other filters have. Notably you can't disconnect the darn tubes without spilling water everywhere. This means I will need to install inline ball valves on both lines just so I don't siphon out all the water in my tank everytime I need to do filter maintenance. Here is a link for the filter in CA in case you are interested.
There’s a review on YouTube. The flow rate is pretty low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
There’s a review on YouTube. The flow rate is pretty low.

The nice thing about the fzone filter (in theory, don't have it yet) is that you can just use a different pump to get different results. So if one pump is too small, you just buy a new pump that's bigger. I saw one video complaining about the flow but the guy doing it admitted his hoses were probably too small sooo /shrug

·
Registered
90 Posts
The nice thing about the fzone filter (in theory, don't have it yet) is that you can just use a different pump to get different results. So if one pump is too small, you just buy a new pump that's bigger. I saw one video complaining about the flow but the guy doing it admitted his hoses were probably too small sooo /shrug
But you can only get so much flow through the inlet and outlet pipes, right?

Would doubling the pump capacity actually result in double the output?

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
But you can only get so much flow through the inlet and outlet pipes, right?

Would doubling the pump capacity actually result in double the output?

Depends on where the weak link is. The inlet and outlet pipes 'look' to be at least 5/8 inch on the 4.5L model. Not sure about the bigger models. That's a pretty standard size for that class of canister filter. I think the max amount of water that can flow through a tube that size is somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 gallons per hour. So if they keep that same size going up to the 10L or 15L model, then ya, its never going to hit a true 800 or 1500 gallons per hour that the pumps are rated for. BUT, unless you are trying to use these things on monster tanks, you probably are not looking for a true 800+ gallons per hour either. If you hit 500 gallons per hour of actual flow, that would be enough to happily run even a 120 gallon tank, which I feel is about all you can reasonably ask out of a canister filter soooo /shrug.

·
Registered
90 Posts
They said the inlet and outlet are designed for 5/8” vinyl tubing. But then the actual internal diameter of the inlets is going to be 1/2” or 9/16”. 1/2” pipe can pull 420gph, with minimal pressure.

They even say on their website that the flow rate from the 15L model with DC800 (800gph?) pump is 155gph. So, yes, it appears the pump is the weak link.

I was actually very seriously considering buying one of these. I’d cut a bunch of 20ppi foam cylinders and stuff it full of them. But, if it can only pull 155gph, with out a pump upgrade I’d need two of them for my 75g tank. At the current cost, I’d just buy an Eheim 1500 or FX6 instead.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
They said the inlet and outlet are designed for 5/8” vinyl tubing. But then the actual internal diameter of the inlets is going to be 1/2” or 9/16”. 1/2” pipe can pull 420gph, with minimal pressure.

They even say on their website that the flow rate from the 15L model with DC800 (800gph?) pump is 155gph. So, yes, it appears the pump is the weak link.

I was actually very seriously considering buying one of these. I’d cut a bunch of 20ppi foam cylinders and stuff it full of them. But, if it can only pull 155gph, with out a pump upgrade I’d need two of them for my 75g tank. At the current cost, I’d just buy an Eheim 1500 or FX6 instead.

Again I can't be sure since the thing won't be in my hands until (scheduled) tomorrow. But, if its designed for 5/8 tubing then the inner diameter will be 5/8" at least. If the outside diameter was only 5/8" then the tubing which has 5/8 inside diameter would never be tight enough to form a water tight seal. And since people in the videos I have seen are heating up their tubing to get it to fit, it seems like they are definitely stretching bigger then 5/8".

The nice thing I like about these guys is that the pump is completely separate from the unit. It's not even remotely connected. If you don't like their pump you don't have to buy it. It's not even a 'pump upgrade' to get a different pump since you never had to pay for a pump to begin with. I especially like that because I believe most canister filters have too much media space for the amount of water they actually move. My tank is already doing all the biological filtration. I dump nitrates INTO the water. I don't need media to convert ammonia. I need mechanical filtration. So you could in theory use smaller footprint canister filters with oversized pumps on them to get the power of GIANT canister filters in a tiny space. That's a sweet feature that no one else on the market offers. BUT if you wanted all the space of say the 15L filter. You could always use their 1500 gallon per hour pump which is only 20 dollars more then the 800 gallon per hour pump. I don't know if this pump is new, but the videos I saw were not testing it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts