The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to take the plunge from a HOB aquaclear 110 to a canister filter. I currently have a 75G tank but need any equipment I buy now to transfer seamlessly to a 125G or larger in the future.

EHEIMs seem rather expensive so I was eyeing the Fluval FX5.

I have 2 major concerns with it:

1.Power: The FX5 is rated at 600gph, currently my aquaclear is rated at 500 and I run a medium size powerhead rated 330gph. Is the FX5 going to blast my plants and fish into oblivion? It seems like the answer should be no but I want to ask to be sure. The manual doesn't seem to indicate any way to adjust the flow - can I do this via addition of resistance through something like a spray bar if necessary?

2.Noise: Its supposed to be noisy. Just how noisy is noisy? Is anyone able to anecdotaly compare it to the noise of an aquaclear 110? (ie 2x as loud, 3x as loud). I need to be able to sleep 5 feet from this thing. I looked through the threads but didn't see anything like this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
125g is a good size tank. Two solid canisters might be better than one uber-canister. You'd get other benefits - redundancy in case one fails, one can be used for CO2 diffusion, the other for UV, instream accessories can reduce flow so this is a nice approach.

Consider Renas as an option. Strong filters. Check the used market for Eheims if budget is a challenge. You can find some good deals that will help the finances with little downside. If buying used, by good quality.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I actually prefer the XPs over Eheims (I think they're more user-friendly), but I have to admit that the XP motors do make a slight hum, whereas Eheims are completely silent. So it depends on what's more important to you.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I really want it to be as quiet as possible. Cost is always an issue but not a huge issue. Is there any difference between a 2078 and a 2080 aside from flow rate?

·
Registered
102 Posts
... but I have to admit that the XP motors do make a slight hum, whereas Eheims are completely silent.
I have an XP1, XP2 and XP3, and soon to get a second XP2, and either I have an exceptional batch of them or you have a bad batch, because unless you put your ear about 2 inches from the canister, mine are completely silent.

And I agree that they are very user friendly. They are the only canister I've had, but that's because they've given me absolutely no reason to try another one. I'm sure the Eheims are good, too. Personally, I can't get past the metallic green stuff that goes in the tank, though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.