The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a 48x18x18 tank and am wondering which canister filter I should buy. I only want to use 1 canister filter and will be supplementing flow with a powerhead.

I am thinking Eheim 2217 or fluval 406.

·
Registered
29 Posts
How big of a canister filter, or one versus two, you go with will depend on the bio load. I've used several Fluval 406's with great results. It cleans and polishes the water. I've always over filtered (used a 406 on my previous 36g tropical) due to my tendency to over populate the tank.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I've read a 2217 should provide enough filtration and the extra pump should provide the flow. I think I'm going to get a eheim 2217 since I want to use lily pipes and I've always had good luck with the classics. If I need more Ill buy another one down the road I guess.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
That should be plenty. The rule of thumb I like to use is to cut the manufacturer's recommended tank size estimate in half because they always overestimate their product for some reason. They claim the 2217 will do 160 gallons and yours is less than 90 gallons so it should do just fine. The additional pump is a good idea for the broader water column in a 48" x 18" tank.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I run twin 2217's on my 65g. And it's 36X18X24H. Myself I never run 4 footers on less than 2 canisters.
Just my opinion, but I really like the advantage of alternating a thorough cleaning of 1 canister and not stressing about losing bacteria.
If budget was the issue, I would try and buy 2 sunsun filters before one 2217. I have sun sun and eheims through out my house on various tanks and they both get the job done.

·
Registered
560 Posts
The reason I only want one canister filter is this will be rimless and I don't want a bunch of crap in the tank. It seems if you go much bigger than the 2217 lily pipes wont fit anymore. This tank will be heavily planted with stems so I think the 2217 plus the extra flow and plants will take care of the job nicely.

Is there a canister filter out there of similar capacity that has 16mm inlets and outlets. The outlet for the 2217 is 13mm and I want to run the eth 300w 5/8 heater since the 200w wont cut it. Or should I just use the eheim adapater to change the tubing size?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.