The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am doing a SUNSUN canister filter 602 which is the small canister for my 17gal that I will be setting up real soon.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience or thoughts on those extended modular canisters that like attach or whatever to the original filter. I guess the idea is to load one filter up with bio media while the other one cleans?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I don't know the flow of a Sunsun 602. But the add on's do reduce a little flow.

Last time I looked at them, they were about 30-40 bucks.

I ended up just buying a smaller used ehiem for the extra filtration instead.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I guess my concern is if I will have enough room for bio media and such. My tank is 17 gal and I was afraid to get something with too much power. I always felt that reducing the flow dramatically could put stress on the motor of the canister filters so I got the SUNSUN 602B cause its recommended for 10-25 Gallons, and its cheap :)

·
Registered
512 Posts
You can slow down flow with a spin outflow lilly pipe. That's what I am doing on my shrimp tank. I run a eheim classic 2213 canister on a 10 gallon tank and it's rated for up to 66 gallons.

·
Registered
492 Posts
You don't really stress a magnetic impeller based motor beyond a bit more wear on the bearings which would pretty much be negligible. The AC driven magnetized core's operation is not effected by what the impeller is doing or what stresses it may be under.

That Sun sun looks kind of pricey, wouldn't an Ehiem 2213 at $75 complete make more sense?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts