The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm brand new to owning an aquarium. I just purchased a Marineland 60 gallon heartland ensemble from PetSmart.

Not doing any research (big mistake on my part), I purchased a fluval g3 canister filter because according to my measurements, it would fit inside the stand. Well, it fits, with no kinks, at about a 10-15 degree angle. Not knowing anything about canister filters, will the angle become an issue?

I am thinking about sending it back and purchasing another fluval c3 filter but I wanted to double check with the experts and make sure :icon_wink

Thanks.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I purchased a fluval g3 canister filter because according to my measurements, it would fit inside the stand. Well, it fits, with no kinks, at about a 10-15 degree angle.
What does that mean? How can a square box-shaped device like G3 fit into a stand at "at 10-15 degree angle"? You need to explain better what you are talking about.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
The bottom of the filter should sit squarely on the floor or the bottom of the stand. They aren't meant to be tilted so should sit upright.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What does that mean? How can a square box-shaped device like G3 fit into a stand at "at 10-15 degree angle"? You need to explain better what you are talking about.
The heartland ensemble comes with a stand that has very minimal clearance on the inside of the stand. I took some measurements and realized the only canister filter that would fit inside the tank was the G3.

However, I did not take into account the aquastop where the tubes connect. To keep the hoses from kinking, I have created two wedges that hold the canister filter box at an angle. This is the only way to have the canister filter inside the stand without kinked hoses.

I haven't been able to find any details about canister filters resting at an angle (probably because no one is dumb enough to try). I know the safest thing is to order another fluval c4 HOB, however, since I'm brand new to keeping a tank, I figured I'd ask a well established forum if resting a canister filter at an angle would cause any malfunctions.

·
Registered
274 Posts
If possible, I'd break out the jigsaw and modify the back of the stand. I'm guessing you might be able to notch out what you need to make things fit better. IME, stands don't hold resale value down the road. If you can, modify it to meet your needs now. With the doors closed in the front, you'll never see your mods on the back. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
375 Posts
The heartland ensemble comes with a stand that has very minimal clearance on the inside of the stand.
OK, if I understand it correctly, so the issue is the "ceiling" of the internal compartment in Heartland Ensemble stand. Judging by the pictures, the stand indeed has very limited vertical space for the enclosed compartment.

But does the filter + aquastop valves assembly (without any tubing) fit into the stand by themselves?

If so, then the kinking is probably exaggerated by the fact that the stock G3 tubing is smooth. What if you switch to ribbed tubing, like the one used by Fluval x06 series? Ribbed tubing allows for small radius bends without any kinking. If you so prefer, you can keep stock tubing, but just splice in short segments of ribbed tubing right in that critical area. Alternatively, you can implement that tight turn by splicing in 90-degree PVC elbows between the aquastop valves and the main length of the tubing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, if I understand it correctly, so the issue is the "ceiling" of the internal compartment in Heartland Ensemble stand. Judging by the pictures, the stand indeed has very limited vertical space for the enclosed compartment.

But does the filter + aquastop valves assembly (without any tubing) fit into the stand by themselves?

If so, then the kinking is probably exaggerated by the fact that the stock G3 tubing is smooth. What if you switch to ribbed tubing, like the one used by Fluval x06 series? Ribbed tubing allows for small radius bends without any kinking. If you so prefer, you can keep stock tubing, but just splice in short segments of ribbed tubing right in that critical area. Alternatively, you can implement that tight turn by splicing in 90-degree PVC elbows between the aquastop valves and the main length of the tubing.
Yeah, the G3 plus the aquastop fit. The kink in the tubing is because the tubes have to angle off immediately to fit in the stand (almost 90 degrees hence the kink). Angling the canister filter box alleviated the angle but I had a pretty good idea that the canister filter wasn't meant to sit that way.

I'm not sure exactly how to go about splicing ribbed tubing or pvc elbows into the main tubing (I'm not the handiest of people). Got any suggestions?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts