The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to upgrade to a canister filter or filters since I will be adding pressurized co2. What would be best for a heavy planted tank with co2 two canisters or one? What brand? Size canisters?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Budget is not really an issue. I want to do things right and have the plants looking as good as possible. I'm going to do a cerges reactor if that is of any help.

·
Registered
652 Posts
My vote goes to the Penn plax 1000/1200, they are amazing filters!
I'm running the 1000 on my 45 gallon planted and its been doing an amazing job.
If you go with Fluval which are my next favorites then the 404 or the 406 would be the best. Don't use the 05 series- they suck. So basically the very old or the very new types.
The FX5 would be way to much power for that size tank, your fish and plants would be blowing around the place. Thats more for a 100 gallon tank.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
2x2215 would work well I would think, IMO the cascade was a pos, it had major bypass that could only be fixed by stuffing floss on the sides of the baskets. The double taps were clunky as well, went with a classic and never looked back, many would say the same.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I love my eheim. If you went with the 2215 then two of them would be a must.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
My vote goes to the Penn plax 1000/1200, they are amazing filters!
I'm running the 1000 on my 45 gallon planted and its been doing an amazing job. If you go with Fluval which are my next favorites then the 404 or the 406 would be the best. Don't use the 05 series- they suck. So basically the very old or the very new types. The FX5 would be way to much power for that size tank, your fish and plants would be blowing around the place. Thats more for a 100 gallon tank.

I don't know why the lack of love for the FX5 in a 40b. I have one on mine with a spray bar and it's very effective without being too turbulent. Here is a shot of my overgrown tank recently, with the spray bar visible. The spray bar to the far right is a separate CO2 loop run by a Mag 7 - Cerges reactor. I would highly recommend these filters!

http://youtu.be/HBMAY8AHK6U

Here's a short vid of the tank...

Cheers

·
Registered
652 Posts
Thats quite interesting m00se, i had an FX5 running on a 80 gallon system and it had the perfect current, when put on anything smaller the fish would get super stressed out as they would get tossed around, and they had to hide and would lay on the gravel to get a rest.
Possibly mine was just unusually strong?

Either way it is a good filter, i would just recommend it for larger aquariums- depending on your fish choice.

And thats an amazing tank, very lush. :)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yea, the secret is definitely in the spray bar to distribute the flow over a wide area. Also diameters of piping and elbows/barbs etc stay at 1".

Thanks btw. That tank is always in transition it seems!

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts