The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum but I have searched high and dry for the answer to this question with no luck. I finally found an answer to a similar question earlier, which spawns this one.

First, it took some digging, but I finally found this article: http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/month.9805/msg00304.html regarding how much difference a biowheel ACTUALLY makes. I found many references citing someones assertions, but no actual experiences with and without.

So, I am going to replace my Emperor 400 with a canister filter. The reason is because I want to keep the CO2 from dissipating before it does any good. I found plenty of threads here arguing about which brand is the best (the PIMP threads for example). But it seems none of them really focus on how well the CO2 does with these. I am guessing that they all are about the same in this regard. However, if anybody has actually tested their CO2 levels with more than one canister, I'd be interest in the results. Likewise, if anybody knows of another place with results like that already posted, please post a link.

I really don't care what brand I buy after reading all the PIMP wars, it seems like they all will do a good job at cleaning my tank (55 Gallon, sorry Rex). I just am curious about the affect they have on the CO2.

Thanks,

Kazooless

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would buy a canister filter not because of the co2 issue but because of the clean look, ease of maintenance, and quieter operation. I recommend Eheim classic or ecco. You can get it at Petsmart for $85 online. They should honor that price in the store if you print it out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks

Thanks guys. I think the Rena is what I'm leaning toward from all the other postings I've read.

I guess the fact that I couldn't find anything and there hasn't been much response on this means that nobody really has done any comparisons. I know the Fluval manual actually talks about their product helping to create the "much needed oxygen exchange" (which is not wanted with a planted tank). That scares me a little, like the bio-wheel emperor 400 I have. But maybe that is only created by the way you setup the return water.

Anyway, thanks. I'm glad to have finally joined the community instead of just lurking. Maybe with time, I'll actually have something to add. :)

kazooless

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought a Rena

So I bought the Rena Filstar xP3 and installed it. Took me a while to figure out a way to return the water without causing turbulence on the surface. I have the spray bar starting at about 4" below the surface and vertical. The other problem I was running into was the power of the current pulling or pushing my plants over.

Anyway, I also found at one of my lfs the Red Sea CO2 indicator (http://www.azgardens.com/newCO22.php). It's very hard to find these (or any type of drop checker) at the local stores here in San Diego. The guy said that it was the only one they had and it was sitting on the shelf for over a year.

So, I setup my own distilled water with baking soda and ph color test and we'll see what difference this new filter makes. I'll post the changes to let everybody know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.