The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to this site, under the "How do you measure ORP?" section, it states "An ORP probe is really a millivolt meter..."
Oxidation Reduction Potential explained : ORP

Rather than buying a ORP specific probe/meter, I was just wondering if you could just measure ORP with a basic multimeter, like this one
7 Function Multimeter
I assume you could just set it to 200m or 2000m under DCV (top left corner).

Or would that not work?
Would probe spacings make a difference? Say you had the black and red leads X amount of space apart, would the readings change? If so, is there a certain distance that would render the same as a intended ORP meter?

But I guess that wouldn't show readings in the -mV range

Just wondering

·
Registered
12,535 Posts
According to this site, under the "How do you measure ORP?" section, it states "An ORP probe is really a millivolt meter..."
Oxidation Reduction Potential explained : ORP

Rather than buying a ORP specific probe/meter, I was just wondering if you could just measure ORP with a basic multimeter, like this one
7 Function Multimeter
I assume you could just set it to 200m or 2000m under DCV (top left corner).

Or would that not work?
Would probe spacings make a difference? Say you had the black and red leads X amount of space apart, would the readings change? If so, is there a certain distance that would render the same as a intended ORP meter?

But I guess that wouldn't show readings in the -mV range

Just wondering
ORP and pH are about the same probs. You can actually use a pH one to measure ORP, though not generally as precisely..

You need a reference cell and then the probe..
PH/ORP Sensor Primer - Phidgets Support

1 - 2 of 2 Posts