The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I got a little crypt from and friend and I just love that little plant! He wasn't sure what kind it was and when I looked up the suggestions I just wasn't sure what kind it was because it seems to have red stems and I didn't see that in any of the pics.

I had read that they usually melt and then start to get new leaves but it never did melt but the 3 leaves that it did have are a bit narled up now and has 2 new leaves :) But again all the stems look red.

So i'm hoping someone might be able to id this crypt and tell me how big it might get?

Also wondering how long before it makes a new plantlet? And how they make new plantlets? And just over all crypt facts would be helpfull. I have low light tanks so any reccomendations for some other common crypts that might work as well would be appreciated. Also I just use root tabs.

Here's pics:

Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
If it didn't melt it's safe to guess your tank water is almost the same (very close) to the water parameters where it came from and shipping it was exposed to a safe and stable temperature in the package.

New plants form off the shallow roots but not runner like swords produce. Most older leaves on cyrpts tend to get a ripple to the leaf edge, not tears or holes but almost like a kink that looks wavy on a healthy leaf. Also that little plant will top out at about 6" tall on the largest leaf it will produce. Nothing to say what it is but how it grows.
HTH

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! And thanks a ton as always wkndracer. You have been so very kind to us! We so appreciate your help! I'm just loving this plant!

I wonder what other crypts we might be able to keep in our low light tank?

Walmart of all places had some crypts for just around $4. so I picked up a couple and am praying that they'll be ok with low light.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
At that size it's nearly impossible to make a good guess at what type of crypt that is. They all look more or less like that when they are little. Wait until it puts out some bigger leaves and someone here can probably ID it with reasonable accuracy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.