The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I bought these at an high end LFS but can't remember for the life of me what they are. The silver ones with black dots on their tails. Closest I can find are feeder white clouds on live aquaria, but they seem more reminiscent of tetras than minnows.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
They look like silvertip tetras to me. Are they fairly new? Silvertips tend to be more towards gold, but they can be a tad faded if they haven't yet settled in.
And is that a blue crowntail betta stuffed back there in the plants?

·
Registered
237 Posts

They look like silvertip tetras to me. Are they fairly new? Silvertips tend to be more towards gold, but they can be a tad faded if they haven't yet settled in.
And is that a blue crowntail betta stuffed back there in the plants?
They have been in the tank about a month, definitely not the new bleached out look. I don't see them getting gold, but that is a significant resemblance.

And yes, it is, good catch!! Also have a few b&w crystals, cherry shrimp, green cherry shrimp, harlequin rasboras, and cardinals.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
The orange fish are Espei Rasboras (Trigonostigma espei)

Clear little fish with black and white on the base of the tail are Corydoras hastatus. Almost looks like the identical tetra, Aphyocharax paraguayensis, but the slightly fins are different.

Blue and red fish are Caridinal tetras (Paracheirodon axelrodi)

There's a crowntail Betta splendens in the background shadows

A Crystal Black Shrimp (CBS - Caridina cantonensis) in the grass on the left hand side.

And looks like maybe a Red Rili shrimp (Neocaridina davidi) in the background below the betta

No silver tip tetras (Hasemania nana) there though (just so you are aware, silver tips have been known to nip fins, seen it in person, bit feisty as well. Espei rasboras are very peaceful, great fish).

Add: But just so you know, that tank looks too small for the active behaviors of some of the fish you have in there. Rasboras are active fish and like to swim around in a larger area. Corydoras hastatus are more active than other corys (besides C. pygmaeus), so even though they are small, they do like to swim around in a bigger area as well.
Also social fish should be in groups of at least 6, which are the cardinals, rasboras and corys that you have.
Too small tanks, and too small of groups can cause fish to stress, which in turn degrades their health/lifespan/immune system and you don't get to see their happy natural behaviors. A miserable life for them to be honest. If a large enough size tank isn't doable, I would suggest rehoming if we can't keep fish in proper set ups. Not meaning to offend, just mentioning how it is for them, just because we want to have them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
100% Aphyocharax paraguayensis. You can see it in first picture.
Lower body part is round here. Corys have flat bellies... And corys dont have the ''black dot'' on the lower back body part.
Or maybe you have both:) Corys love to mimic similar fish, you can see example on picture (link) :)

Sent from mTalk

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
AHH! I found it!
I knew that tetra I first mentioned that looks similar to Corydoras hastatus was not the right one I was thinking of.
The one I am referring to, is Odontostilbe kriegi (synonym Serrapinnus kriegi or Cheirodon kriegi), the Three Spot Tetra, and that is indeed the fish you have in the pics, NOT Aphyocharax paraguayensis NOR Corydoras hastatus.

I see that little tetra at my LFS all the time. Always wanted to mix the two, but decided to just stick with one large group of the corys instead. But now that I think about it, I might just get the tetras as well, it might have the corys school more with the tetras!

Found this article too. Seems the three spot corys and Corydoras hastatus naturally occur together in nature. Even more so considering getting them as well, only if I wasn't planning on breeding the corys though (don't want the eggs getting eaten).
http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/corydoras-in-miniature-full-article.htm

·
Registered
31 Posts
AHH! I found it!

I knew that tetra I first mentioned that looks similar to Corydoras hastatus was not the right one I was thinking of.

The one I am referring to, is Odontostilbe kriegi (synonym Serrapinnus kriegi or Cheirodon kriegi), the Three Spot Tetra, and that is indeed the fish you have in the pics, NOT Aphyocharax paraguayensis NOR Corydoras hastatus.

I see that little tetra at my LFS all the time. Always wanted to mix the two, but decided to just stick with one large group of the corys instead. But now that I think about it, I might just get the tetras as well, it might have the corys school more with the tetras!

Found this article too. Seems the three spot corys and Corydoras hastatus naturally occur together in nature. Even more so considering getting them as well, only if I wasn't planning on breeding the corys though (don't want the eggs getting eaten).

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/corydoras-in-miniature-full-article.htm

It is the fish from picture i posted... There is a reason why they call it 3 spot and i dont see it on his pictures ☺ I am still convinced it is Aphyocharax paraguayensis...

Sent from mTalk

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
@UrosBGD
Aphyocharax paraguayensis appear to have black (some white) markings on their anal fin.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Aph...ved=0ahUKEwiDn53Toe3LAhUJ4SYKHQMTBGMQ_AUIBigB

Serrapinnus/Odontostilbe kriegi, have the black dot on their body/abdomen area rather than on the fin.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Odo...h&q=Odontostilbe+kriegi&imgrc=AC5uQCUk6FqiEM:

Some good info and pics here
Serrapinnus kriegi (synonym: Odontostilbe kriegi)?)
Looks like the black bot feature on S. kriegi might be a gender feature.

Anyways, I am intrigued now. Definitely want to get a group to school with my C. hastatus (might do a biotope with them now). I will do more research on both as I've seen some sources say A. paraguayensis is found schooling with C. hastatus and some sources say S. kriegi is found with them. Not sure if they are both found in the same natural habitat or just a mistaken identity.
There are so many fish out there with identical markings such as these fish.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, great info in here!! I'm leaning towards the dawn tetra from what I was able to look up.

And yes, tank is small, but working on porting everything over to an ADA 60p.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Wow, great info in here!! I'm leaning towards the dawn tetra from what I was able to look up.

And yes, tank is small, but working on porting everything over to an ADA 60p.

Just heard from another member (roadmaster) that the dawn tetras were the meanest tetra he has ever had. Just thought I'd give you a heads up to avoid the headache!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.