The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey found this out fishin at the lake. It was partially submerged against the bank. I couldnt pass it up as im rescaping my 55 and looking for a large unique piece. IF this is even an aquarium safe wood I know i have alot of prep work ahead of me. gotta pull that bark off but wanted to leave it on for the pic to help identify the species. This is a large single piece, I layed out a pack of smokes to reference the size.

Probably shouldnt have but it is dried out now and is still very heavy.

Judging by the bark and what you can make of the pics can anyone identify the species of this wood?

If anyone has any input on puting this in a tank, fill me in!!

It will need a good scrubbing and a powerwash. I'll want to soak this in a bleach solution, right..? but if so what kind of ratio should i go for? Im very cautious and always leary to put anything questionable in my tank. If i do bleach it Ill probably resoak it for a month just to be safe. obviously WAY to big to boil. Ive read of people baking driftwood..??..

Leave your thoughts

THANKS!

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

PEACE

·
Are these real?
15,702 Posts
Most of us probably overthink this... There isn't really a need trying to sterilize the wood.

First of all, if it was submerged for a while, it should be alright to use in a tank. Assuming the lake wasn't a stinkhole, most of the tannic acids and whatnot have probably leached out, and it won't affect water parameters much.

I am not sure what kind of wood it is. If it is soft, it will decay faster, if it is hardwood, well, it'll last longer.

If it is dry, it will float. That's gonna be the biggest problem.

I'd just remove most of the bark, give it a good scrub with a stiff bristled brush to remove any critters and their eggs, and then if needed submerge it somewhere until it sinks.

Go for it...

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most of us probably overthink this... There isn't really a need trying to sterilize the wood.

First of all, if it was submerged for a while, it should be alright to use in a tank. Assuming the lake wasn't a stinkhole, most of the tannic acids and whatnot have probably leached out, and it won't affect water parameters much.

I am not sure what kind of wood it is. If it is soft, it will decay faster, if it is hardwood, well, it'll last longer.

If it is dry, it will float. That's gonna be the biggest problem.

I'd just remove most of the bark, give it a good scrub with a stiff bristled brush to remove any critters and their eggs, and then if needed submerge it somewhere until it sinks.

Go for it...
Agreed, I definitely over think things. I just have a couple concerns, some wood will release toxins into the water column like, cedar... I dont believe this is ceder but... I dont know what it is. Ive read to many horror stories to not be cautious about putting found driftwood in my tank.

Ive heard of people getting leachs in their tank from taking driftwood, rocks and plants from the wild that contained eggs. Thats why i wouldnt mind hitting it with bleach before hand. I HATE THOSE THINGS - Most disgusting thing on earth if you ask me.

The lake it came from as far as i know is a very clean lake. I have no reason to believe it contains any outside toxins.

Thanks for the comment! Keep'em comin guys!

PEACE

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You could pressure wash the wood to knock off the bark and clean it. Then, if you still worry about eggs and other living things, put it in a big tub and pour near boiling water over it and let it soak for a couple of hours or so. Not much can live through near boiling water.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You could pressure wash the wood to knock off the bark and clean it. Then, if you still worry about eggs and other living things, put it in a big tub and pour near boiling water over it and let it soak for a couple of hours or so. Not much can live through near boiling water.
Thanks Hoppy!

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
yep, boiling water, poor some H202 on it, bake in the sun for a while, all kinds of options. Wasser is right also, if its soft wood, you'll find out.

There are numerous sites and articles about treating wood for the aquarium if you do a quick google search.

Good luck with it. Its a real gem for sure. Lots of potential!

I am still laughing though from that picture! Classic.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yep, boiling water, poor some H202 on it, bake in the sun for a while, all kinds of options. Wasser is right also, if its soft wood, you'll find out.

There are numerous sites and articles about treating wood for the aquarium if you do a quick google search.

Good luck with it. Its a real gem for sure. Lots of potential!

I am still laughing though from that picture! Classic.
Just reg ol' peroxide? pour it directly on it? or mix a solution to pour over it?? Peroxide sounds better than bleach. Ive read of people actually putting peroxide in their tanks for algae issues....

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
+1, i always just boil my wood and brush it with a wire brush.

·
Registered
987 Posts
"Just reg ol' peroxide?" would be fine, but I would just dump boiling water on it like Hoppy said. And since we are not that far apart, what lake? Big lake? Fishing hole? That is an excelent piece though! My dad is always searching creeks and rivers for arrow heads and is bringing some nice driftwood and petrified wood down in a couple months. Can't wait. He found an 80 lb peice of petrified wood and I'm waiting for a tank upgrade to use it.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And since we are not that far apart, what lake? Big lake? Fishing hole? QUOTE]

Pomme de terre lake at the end of RA hwy. If your dad brings any petrified wood that you dont want or not able to use let me know!

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
It looks like a pine, specifically white pine, actually I have no idea which pine it is but it is most probably white pine but there are a variety of pine species in the US do you know what type of trees are around the pond? This wood is probably like those trees:hihi:. Everyone yells about staying away from softwoods but I've never had an issue with it maybe it is a YMMV type of thing?

-Andrew

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
do you know what type of trees are around the pond?

-Andrew
Thank you for your input! This was found on a lake. No tellin what tree it came from.

Pine wont release any harmful toxins will it?

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Thank you for your input! This was found on a lake. No tellin what tree it came from.

Pine wont release any harmful toxins will it?
No problem, I am glad I could help. I've got a strange combination with boy scouts and collecting my own DW so I am alright with IDing wood.

Nope it has been there long enough for the sap to leach out, I've got some pine that was found on the beach that looks identical, no problems with it.

-Andrew

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No problem, I am glad I could help. I've got a strange combination with boy scouts and collecting my own DW so I am alright with IDing wood.

Nope it has been there long enough for the sap to leach out, I've got some pine that was found on the beach that looks identical, no problems with it.

-Andrew
Awesome thats exactly what i was wanting to hear! Cant wait to get this cleaned up and get to work on scaping my 55

PEACE

Anyone else have any input?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts