The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kinds of shrimp can be housed in the same tank as dwarf puffers, other than ones that are obvious food. Would I be able to keep an amano or two with 2 dwarf puffers? The amanos are adult-sized, and they are twice the size of the dwarf puffers. If not, would 2 dwarf puffers work with 2 ottos?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm not sure about amano's since I don't have any in with my DP's, but I do have a couple ottos in the same tank, as well as a few RCS. I noticed the RCS numbers are slowly dwindling, but I expected that. I haven't had any problems between the DP's and the ottos.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
tbh if the tank is heavily planted enough with lots of small nooks and if you include cholla wood you can get away with dwarf shrimps in the same tank, just make sure you feed your puffer as much as he will eat at a time and do it frequently as well as start with alot of shrimp, not just a small cull but like 40-50, as far as amanos i'm not sure, as they get bigger than dwarf puffer they may be okay but i wouldn't chance it unless you feed your puffer with a strict timeline, dwarf shrimp will outbreed the deaths if you start with a colony

·
Registered
288 Posts
We've been able to keep the following with our 2 pea puffers without much incidence in a heavily planted 4-gallon.

Nerite snails (x2, they picked at them initially but gave up b/c there's so little available)
Amanos (x2, each over an inch in size)
Otos (x2, pretty much ignore them)

Glad that they don't eat their clean-up crew, which has done wonders for the algae and left-over food from the messy puffers.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I keep my two 2" amanos w/ my dp for months now.

But my DP is very mild tempered. I kept her w/ 6 of my adult fire red shrimps for a few days and she was running away from the shrimps when they came near her,

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have 2 amanos, 4 bumblebee, and 4 ghost shrimp. Everything except the ghosts were in the tank before the 2 dwarfs were added. Has been 2 months and no deaths yet. My amanos chase the dwarfs when I put a algea wafer in. It is very amusing. I put the ghosts in about a month ago as feeders .Thought I was going to see some action. Never happened. Mine love snails though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.