The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title reads...

I have a jbj 12g nanocube with the false wall removed (tank was free), and a jbj mini artica chiller 1/15 hp. I was wondering if there was any way i could have my setup as: intake>canister>chiller>out

Is this possible?

If so, what size pump would i need?

any info is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
With the right finesse and fittings, it could be done. But then I would not do it for several reasons. One is that it doesn't work too well to have two pump working inline. One will be slower and just drag on the faster pump. The bigger reason for me is that I would not need a chiller full time but only seasonal but it would be in the way and added maintenance all the time. IF I found a chiller needed, I would do it as a stand alone item.
But then my tanks never get so warm that a simple fan setup is not enough to cool them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The recommended flow rate through the chiller is 110-160 gph so you'll need a canister that will put out that flow after factoring in head loss due to plumbing. You could always run the chiller on a closed loop system independent of the canister

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys, it seems like having them separate is the best choice. I am running a Tiger Shrimp tank with a bunch of plants. I live in central florida where its already almost 90º during the day, and i only run my AC at night, so i need the chiller for sure.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Learning to live with hot is going to get to a lot of us as time goes on. Here is Central Texas, we have also already been running 90's. I've been watching the weather records we set as reported by the local stations and it seems the cold records are often from the 20-30 years ago and the hot records are being broken every few years. Not a political statement but just the facts. We now find armadillos killed on the roads as far North as Central Missouri and as far as I've heard they are strictly non-political!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.