The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you get me started on finding a regulator? My red sea just went went wide open, and I don't want to waste any time fixing it.

Is there a chart I can look at to find a list of suitable regulators? Are they all for all gases, and then you change the fittings, or are there different types of gaskets for specific gases?

I need to keep the budget down. Christmas is coming up, and I've got some other purchases I want to make.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Kid,

Once you decide what you want to do, just keep watching "that auction" site and "that ..list", etc... You'll be surprised what kind of bargains appear if you can be patient.

Sumo, GLA and Rex have quality options that I'm sure you know are well discussed here. I've heard that a good budget-friendly option is the Azoo regulator and I think I just saw an entire set with it on sale at one of the online stores.

DIY is a great option if you can get by with Excel for a while. I was about to go DIY until I saw a dual-stage Victor at a local store. It was big. Just bigger enough that it wouldn't fit in my cabinet on top of a 5lb tank if mounted upright (we measured). So then I just decided to buy a setup.

Look for one of Left C's recent posts. Everything you could ever want to know was in, or linked into that post.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
What is your price range for a reg? What your looking for is a dual stage Victor, Concoa, Matheson, or Harris the important thing is to find one that says it has a CGA-320 connection.

There's a Matheson I'm watching right now that's perfect and it's $29.99 + $12.00 shipping, shoot me a PM if you want the link.

- Brad

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is your price range for a reg? What your looking for is a dual stage Victor, Concoa, Matheson, or Harris the important thing is to find one that says it has a CGA-320 connection.

There's a Matheson I'm watching right now that's perfect and it's $29.99 + $12.00 shipping, shoot me a PM if you want the link.

- Brad
I thought I was in the market for a dual stage regulator. Then I thought I was in the market for a high quality single stage. Then I figured I'd like to keep it under $100. $60 would be nice.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I'm not the most experienced here Kid, but for quality at $60 I think you have to go DIY. You can also find the Azoo reg with solenoid for near that pricepoint on the auction sites.

Splurge on a quality needle valve. Most of the quality regs are overkill for aquarium use.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Do you have a needle valve and solenoid already? If not you could go cheap on them as long as you have a good dual stage reg to save some money. For $17.44 shipped you could get a Parker on ebay I've heard decent things about them and then a fabco N-55 needle valve.

- Brad

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have a needle valve and solenoid already? If not you could go cheap on them as long as you have a good dual stage reg to save some money. For $17.44 shipped you could get a Parker on ebay I've heard decent things about them and then a fabco N-55 needle valve.

- Brad
I already have a cheap needle valve. I originally bought the red sea kit.

I think my time and effort needs to go into fixing my sump first, while I make do with what I have there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts