The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

My first post! I am a long-time lurker, recently started planted tank-er(?), and now a TPT poster! I am hoping someone can help me identify a few plants in my tank.

I purchased a ball of flame moss from @Daud (if you're reading this, thank you again!) a couple weeks back and he very generously included several other wonderful plants. All but one has really taken off in my Chi, it's exciting to see them grow!

I've been comparing pictures and studying plant lists to try to ID these and have a couple guesses, but if anyone could offer assistance that would be wonderful! I would also love to hear any suggestions for how to plant these properly as I just plopped them in the substrate.

I'm looking forward to getting involved in this great community!

Plant 1: Rotala ? This plant is beautiful, new growth is a light green with pink, the original growth is pink. There are new plantlets growing up the stem towards the light and roots growing towards the substrate. I read on the Barr Report to plant this horizontally to grow out those plantlets (this is moving to my big tank so I have not done that yet, and that is assuming I correctly IDed it). It has grown about an inch since I received it!

Plant 2: Moneywort? I have no idea how to plant this one, I just weighted it with the sand in my tank. The big leaf was damaged during shipping, but is now starting to turn translucent. But it also has a new leaf that has grown since I got it so I am not sure if that is okay? I really love this plant and would like to see it do well.

Plant 3: Ludwigia Cuba? This one is in the back corner of my Chi temporarily so it was hard to get a picture of. It's growing well to the light and has a pinkish stem and some of the leaves/needles are pink, the new growth is light green. It's beautiful and another one I want to fill my tanks with!

Plant 4: A complete mystery to me. It has started growing little roots at each node / below the joint of the leaves. I take that as a good sign but don't actually know that to be true, ha.

Plant 5: Mystery plant 2. This one does not seem to be doing well. One of the leaves is browning and I haven't seen much growth. I am not sure what it will look like when it grows up. (Oops, I did not get a picture of this one, I will have to add a picture later.)

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a question about my nymphoides 'Taiwan' ... how do I propagate it? I saw a post about removing the baby plants and replanting those. Maybe I just don't have any baby plants yet which is why the instructions don't make sense to me?

I have 4 stems with healthy leaves growing plus 1 new stem that looks like its working on a leaf. The huge leaf is turning transparent and I am assuming it will be gone soon (the stem is almost invisible). On the other side of the plant I have 2-3 roots? stems? that are bare in addition to a finer root structure.

Do I remove each stem, or will I see a very obvious baby plant if I have patience? (Not my strong suit, lol.)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Some leaves will grow babies, some wont. IME it only grows babies once settled and happy. New ones may not grow babies. When the leaves form, you'll notice this lump under where the stem and leaf meet. That lump is a baby plant. Leaves that grow without the lump won't produce a baby.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.