The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm wondering if I have too much filtration?

I have a 20gal rated filter that I don't really like, and I bought a 30gal rated filter that I really do like. While putting together the 30gal filter I thought to myself, why get rid of the 20gal filter? why not just save it for those times the water gets murky/cloudy?

so is there any problem with have a combined filtration system of 50gal for a 10gal tank?

Todd

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
While I personally don't think you can have too much filtration,,you can easily have too much current or flow which some fishes don't appreciate and which can make keeping plant's rooted difficult.

·
Registered
584 Posts
all it becomes is a cleaning requirement its not harmful. based on bioload, each tank needs X amnt of active surface area for oxidation to occur, and the practice has always been to vastly exceed that amnt in both marine and fresh w tanks. keep nine canister filters if you like and can deal w the current.

·
Registered
485 Posts
The filters I have combined on my 46 gallon is rated for a 239 gallon tank. I always over filter my tanks and keep in mind the manufactures like to over exaggerate what their filter can do. To keep to flow down a little I use spray bars.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Bacteria in filters convert ammonia to nitrate, and convert other organics to their oxidized forms. That's biological filtration. Filters also clean particulate matter out of the water column. That's mechanical filtration. I don't see how you could have 'too much' of either of these processes.

You CAN have too much current. Fish can only swim so fast!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, so I don't have fish, just snails, and depending on where they are in the tank sometimes the snails do tilter back n forth a bit. Hopefully they're not too stressed by it.

I did set the two filters 90deg to each other, and I mounted what looks like a "diving" board on the exit port (it's an HOB) of the water to break-up it's flow.

One question I have is if the parts of the filter that is not the mechanical/particulate component could be using up (taking away from the plants) my ferts that I dose?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.