The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to have an open top tank, so I purchased 3 clip on lights. The only problem is the clip portion of the light can't slide all the way on and into position because the rim area is too thick.

My question is should I attempt to remove the tanks rim? Or possibly remove the rim of another tank then swap the contents? I currently have fish in the tank. I'm also thinking a possibility would be to take a razor blade and cut away the portion of the rim that is obstructing the clamp from sliding into place. I'm guessing this might be the safest option..

Any info or thoughts are appreciated. Thanks! :D:D

·
Registered
712 Posts
Grind that part of the plastic down...don't de-rim the entire thing.

You should be able to file that plastic down to fit the light fixture. Just be careful, don't remove the entire rim in that area and do not put a ton of downward pressure when trying to get that light fixture to snap on.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I removed the top rim of a 20g long with fish in it with no problems. I didn't even lower the water level. I used a utility knife and a flathead screwdriver. I got started by cutting a random chunk out of the front rim with the utility knife and then prying it up with the flathead gently. Make sure you have extra blades and you will be good to go.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BEST answer!

If you do try to de-rim it full of water, would mind posting it on You Tube...:icon_mrgr
Yeah, I ultimately decided against any of that.. I really wanted an open top tank. I returned the 3 clip on lights and purchased a 75 watt floor lamp. It was on sale for 1/3 it's original price at Crate and Barrel I believe.

Thanks for all the answers!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I was washing my 5 gallon in the tub once, the glue holding the rim softened and I was able to pry it off. I then put it back on, because I needed it for the lid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.